ITunes Home Sharing - Removing Original Computer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PT123, Jun 3, 2011.

1. PT123 macrumors member

Hi guys

Thought I would double check rather than lose thousands of dollars of iTunes purchases!

Had my iTunes library on a PC and decided to set up Home Sharing so I could access the library on my new MacBook Pro. Now that original PC is having a lot of problems and I need to reformat the hard drive, wipe everything off it etc. My MBP is now my main computer and is where I want my iTunes library to be stored, so I have two questions:

- If I remove the original PC from Home Sharing, will my library remain intact and fully authorised on my MBP?

- when I deauthorise and wipe my iTunes library off the orginial PC, can I be sure that my MBP is now the main home computer for my iTunes library from which I can authorise Home Sharing to other computers?

Thanks guys!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Did you actually transfer the files, or are you just playing them from the Mac?

To avoid any unpleasantness, I'd copy the library over to an external drive for backup. iTunes being authorized wouldn't be an issue, but the files obviously must be physically present on the computer.

jW