iTunes Home Sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ks-man, Sep 9, 2009.

1. ks-man macrumors 6502a

Will you be able to Stream music through Home Sharing? I have a Macbook Air and it would be much better if I could stream all the music from my iMac and not have to store anything on my Air.

Thanks.

2. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

3. bobgorila macrumors member

bobgorila

I've not had a chance to play with home sharing yet - but it seems to only allow copying of apps and such if you've authorized each instance of iTunes with the same store account details.

So... useful for people with two macs to themselves, but less so for individuals in a family who already have separate store accounts?

I don't know, I'm going to check it with some friends tomorrow.

4. stujmac26 macrumors regular

The feature is great as I can now keep music that I own on my laptop without hassle. Finally!

Unfortunately the interface is terrible. It simply lists everything - no coverflow view, no artwork view, and no way to separate TV Shows, Movies, Songs etc. Seems like not much thought went into UI execution. But I guess the same goes for much of iTunes 9!! :rolleyes:

5. moseleyite macrumors member

I don't know how much my experience will help but I tried the feature out last night (I'm impatient!).

The set up was as follows: MacBook with two user accounts (let's call them A & B) each with their own iTunes library. I authorised both libraries with account A (myself) and then was able to both:

-import music from account B's library while logged in as account A.
    -import music from account A's library while logged in as account B.

I'm going to get my wife (account B!) to purchase something new from iTunes and then I'll try to import it. I'll let you know.

6. moseleyite macrumors member

I think that Home Sharing is simply the logical extension of library sharing from the previous versions of iTunes and that function used to display media in a simple list-view. I agree with you that it would be nice to browse/import other libraries in a more attractive manner. Perhaps dragging all of the artwork over the network is too much of a strain - I'm sure that some resident techies could enlighten us!

7. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Home Sharing is great!

My wife and I authorized each other's computers and now we can share everything.

She can now drag apps and songs from my library into her library. No more purchasing the same song or app twice.

8. nerojr macrumors newbie

I can view and listen to my other Itunes account but I cannot import songs. What do I need to do in order to import these songs.

9. bobgorila macrumors member

bobgorila

So... does your wife have a separate iTunes store account to you?

If so, you mention she can grab copies of your stuff - can you grab copies of her stuff?

10. ks-man thread starter macrumors 6502a

You must not be married. She will always be able to grab (take) his stuff without him touching hers. ;)

11. moseleyite macrumors member

I'm in a similar position and, yes, my wife can grab my "stuff" as well as the other way round. Each library is individually authoised so it is possible, I would imagine, to make this a one way process (i.e. I can grab stuff from her but not her from me) although I've not tried it.

12. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

could you go into detail how you set it up. I am attempting to do it with my laptop and my dads laptop. and its really not working well at all

13. bobgorila macrumors member

bobgorila

Awesome stuff - from what I'd seen I didn't think that's how it went. Rock.

14. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Go to your dad's computer and click on the iTunes Store.

Once inside the iTunes Store, you should see his iTunes user account name in the top right corner of the store. Click on it and enter your user name and password for the iTunes Store. After that, you should be logged into the iTunes Store on his computer.

Next, click on Store in the menu bar at the top and Authorize your dad's computer. A window will pop up letting you know how many computers have been authorized. After that, you can log your dad's user name and password back into the iTunes Store on his computer.

After that, click on Home Sharing on the left in the iTunes Finder (if it is not there, go to the menu bar and click on Advanced, and then turn off Home Sharing, and then turn it back on; it should reappear in the iTunes Finder on the left). After clicking Home Sharing on the left, enter your iTunes user account name and password. Your Library should now show up on your dad's computer. He can then click and drag files over to his library or import everything.

Repeat these steps on your computer, with your dad logging in this time.

15. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Yeah, it is awesome stuff.

I have a few expensive applications (Things, Geocaching, etc.) that my wife can now use without paying twice, and I can now play some of the games that she purchased.

This is, without a doubt, my favorite feature of iTunes 9.

16. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

awesome! seems easy enough. I did some of these steps before, but i will try it in this order. i'll try it later. Not sure on his iTunes password! hah

When turning on home shareing on my computer, would i log in with my user name under home shareing user name or his? and the same with his computer

edit: actually followed it exactly just now.. works awesome. thanks much!

17. nerojr macrumors newbie

I'm logged into 2 computers and I'm sharing and playing music from my desktop to my laptop. I want to import songs from my desktop but I cannot find the import button. Also, I cannot drag any songs. Am I missing a step somewhere?

18. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

streaming music from computer to computer has always been possible. But make sure that your HOME shareing is set up. Do the same steps that the guy that told me to do

19. Alith macrumors 6502

Home Sharing doesn't seem to work with centralised libraries (i.e. a Drobo on a home network) where multiple iTunes all point towards the same hard drive. It insists on making physical copies of the media instead of just adding it to the other libraries and pointing them towards the file's location.

20. acedrums macrumors member

dose it work between mac and pc? cause i am having issues with that.

21. downunder macrumors newbie

Same issue

I'm having the same issue - logs in okay, but pc doesn't see mac... mac doesn't see pc

22. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

Is there any way to turn it off? I have no use for this feature....

23. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Under the Advanced Menu you can turn it on and off.

24. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Yes... Go under Advanced "Turn of Home Sharing".

25. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Hmm.. This isn't good. I am in the process of setting this up as I read this. I have all of my media on a server. Are you saying that it wants to bring all of the media to the computers? Or is it bringing just the xml files?