iTunes homesharing issue (Yosemite)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 2010mini, Dec 12, 2014.

1. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Hello all,
    Since upgrading my 2010 Mac mini to Yosemite, Homesharing seems to have been broken. It no longer shows up on any of my devices until I restart iTunes.

I have tried the following:
    - changing the computer name
    - logging out/in of iTunes and homesharing
    - made sure all devices are using the same Apple ID
    - restarted the Mini

So far these have all been temporary fixes. Because as soon as the mini goes to sleep, homesharing shuts down. Which it shouldn't because the mini is set to wake for LAN. In Mavericks and Mountain Lion I never had this problem when the Mini was in sleep mode.

Please help!

2. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

3. rigormortis, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

if its a mac mini turn off sleep mode, if possible. the mac mini uses so little power you shouldn't be sleeping at all

if there is a "load" it can use 85 watts, a "load" means its using significant cpu power.
    if its just idling and not doing much then it can only be using 9 watts
    sleeping takes 1.39 watts

your better off just leaving it on 24/7 but making sure the screen / monitor is off

unless of course ifs its a newer haswell then it might prevent sleepng

4. rigormortis, Dec 13, 2014

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

home sharing is one of my favorite topics i like to troll about
    did you know apple has 2 home sharing methods?
    a lot of people say that preferences - sharing is legacy, and it is only used on older stuff. but it rules ! i love it! i hate that the old way is called legacy!

the new way of home sharing
    file
    home sharing
    turn on home sharing

is for iOS devices. and other itunes computers. it requires the person to log on using their itunes credentials. on each device and there is maybe a 5 device limit and a 10 computer limit, i don't know exactly

the old way does not work on iOS devices or apple tv.
    however.
    as long as your music is DRM free, you don't even need to log on to other computer's itunes at all. you can have 100 computers all listening to your music library and this will save you your precious home sharing slots.
    looks ike i can even watch purchased movies and tv shows on another computer without having to turn on "new" home sharing.

even a de-authorized computer on your home network can play drm free music using legacy home sharing.
    if anything in your shared library, like my copy of family guy, its a trap has drm then you need to authorize the computer, but you still dont have to turn on "new" home sharing

you can have them both turned on at the same time

5. 2010mini, Dec 13, 2014

2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

As per another user, toggled off then on the Wake For LAN switch. I put the mini to sleep and I am still able to access iTunes honesharing.

Hopefully this solves the issue permanently

*edit*

Spoke too soon. Home sharing disappears after a while..... Sigh