iTunes HomeSharing Question?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by abby123, Jul 11, 2011.

1. abby123 macrumors newbie

Ok, so I'm leaving for college in about a month and a half. Up until now, my sister and I have synced our iPods to the same account in the same computer. However, I'm getting a new laptop for college. I don't want to simply transfer all the music onto my new laptop because then my sister won't have any, but at the same time, I don't want to leave my large music collection at home. I assume that homesharing would work so that I can take the music to college with me while leaving it on the old computer for my sister.

My question is: If I get songs while at college on my new laptop, and she gets songs on the old laptop, when I come home for breaks/weekends could we hook the laptops up again and share all the purchases we made on both computers?

Thank you and sorry if it's confusing! :)

2. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

From what I can deduce,

1) If you get that new computer and sync your iPod to it, that new computer is now the master computer to the iPod. When you do that, on the new computer, it'll ask you to "erase and sync" with the contents of the new computer - when you do this, you can't plug and play into the old computer unless you want to wipe again. Rule of thumb: you can sync multiple iOS devices to a single computer, not multiple computers to an iPod.

2) With the above said, that might make it difficult to go back and forth between the two computers.

3) I don't want to simply transfer all the music onto my new laptop because then my sister won't have any, but at the same time, I don't want to leave my large music collection at home. <-- Why not just copy your library to your new computer or copy what music you want to the new computer?

4) What did you mean by "we hook the laptops up again" ? target disk mode, network?

5) Here's what I got about home sharing..maybe it'll clarify some things for you. Choosing an account. Home Sharing requires that the same iTunes Store account (user name and password) be used for all sharing computers. In other words, if Joe turns on Home Sharing from his Mac, Jane needs to enter Joe’s name and password on her Mac. If, instead, Joe and Jane both turn on Home Sharing using their own account names and passwords, Home Sharing will be on for both users, and all may seem okay. But they will not see each other’s Library’s via Home Sharing. Once again, this can be confusing.

Assuming that each Mac has a separate iTunes account, does it matter which one you use to establish Home Sharing? Apparently not. But I am not 100% certain. It’s another aspect of Home Sharing that I wish Apple would clarify, but has not yet done so.
    http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/confused_about_itunes_home_sharing/

3. abby123 thread starter macrumors newbie

How would I go about copying all the music?

And when I said "hook up the computers" I just meant turn on homesharing again.

Thanks.