iTunes - How can i delete files??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BoonDockSaint, Dec 31, 2011.

1. BoonDockSaint macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I have made a major clean up in my iTunes lib, but all the files is still located on my HD - Even if i accepted to move them to the trash (in the iTunes dialog box)
    It is almost impossible to clean up the same files via Finder....

Why does iTunes not delete the files?

Best regards

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

iTunes will delete files if they're in your iTunes Media folder, as selected in iTunes > Preferences > Advanced. If they're not in that folder, iTunes won't delete the files. You need to do that manually. Also, if you have selected to have iTunes copy files when adding them to your library (in the same Preference pane), you may still have the original files on your drive(s).

3. BoonDockSaint thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx

You might be right. I just tried to, but the files is still to be found in the iTunes lib even if i have the checkbox marked as you wrote.
    I will move the entire lib to an other HD, delete all in iTunes, and import everything again, and start all over cleaning up.

Any way, it is a problem having to import everything to the iTunes lib. I have ripped all my DVD´s (over 300) and they are located on an other drive on my network. And with a little over 100 GB musik, i dont have enough space on my HD to import everything :)

But i will look into it tomorrow.
    Thx again

----------

BTW... Happy new year :)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My entire library won't all fit on my internal drive, so I have it split between internal and external drives:

How to split a single iTunes library over two media locations