iTunes: How do I create a self-updating playlist

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by violence, Aug 4, 2010.

1. violence macrumors member

Currently have a playlist for all songs on my local HD. Is there a way for the playlist to automatically update and add/remove songs as I add/remove them from my "Music" folder? I'd rather have this automated than manually adding songs each time I download them.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. violence thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but I'm looking for this to be a bit more specific. I'd like to just add a song to my "Music" folder and have that song automatically add to my "Local HD" playlist
    (I want this because my library is comprised of songs on local AND external HDs and I want to see ONLY what is on my local HD).

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Just put them in that folder instead of your Music folder. Not that hard. If you need it more easily accessible, make an alias and put the alias to that folder in your Music folder.

You could use Automator to create a folder action for the Music folder, but that's far more difficult than making a very minor change to your workflow.

jW

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

From the link I posted earlier:

6. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I think I understand what violence is trying to do: have a "Live Updating" playlist of songs that are located only on the local HD. This would be a subset of the Library, which in violence's second post is stated to be spread out over both local and external HDs. All of the songs in such a playlist would always be available in iTunes, regardless of the status of the external drives.

A hypothetical Smart Playlist for this might look like this:
    • Match the following rule:
      [*]File location starts with /Volumes/"Name of internal hard drive"/​
    • Live updating is Checked

There's one obstacle: Smart Playlists do not have anything resembling File Location among its list of parameters to choose.
    Until and unless this parameter is added in a future version, it looks like this list will have to be manually assembled and updated. "Automatically add to iTunes" folders will not be enough to filter out those songs already in the Library that are located externally.

Another possibility is to create two Library files, and swap them out. I'm not an expert on that, but I'm sure a MRoogle search could bring up some step-by-step tutorials.