Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphonso49uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
I made a BIG mistake the other day.I thought I could delete all my music and movies from my Itunes media folder in order to free up space on my hard disc whilst keeping all the music and movies in Itunes itself.Now when I click on an mp3 in Itunes its says that the file cant be located and obviously wont play.
Ive tried File..Library...Organise files....and ticked consolidate files which should copy them as I understand it to my Itunes media folder...but it doesnt...nothing happens.
Can anybody tell me how to get these files back into the media folder so that theyll play again!!
Cheers

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I made a BIG mistake the other day.I thought I could delete all my music and movies from my Itunes media folder in order to free up space on my hard disc whilst keeping all the music and movies in Itunes itself.Now when I click on an mp3 in Itunes its says that the file cant be located and obviously wont play.
Ive tried File..Library...Organise files....and ticked consolidate files which should copy them as I understand it to my Itunes media folder...but it doesnt...nothing happens.
Can anybody tell me how to get these files back into the media folder so that theyll play again!!
Cheers
You can restore them from a backup. You DO have a backup, I hope! The iTunes Media folder is where your music and movie files are stored. If you delete them, they're gone. iTunes can't consolidate or organize files that have been deleted.

Nov 28, 2010
located
If you deleted all your music from your iTunes Media folder and all your music has been stored there, then it is either in your Trash (unless you emptied it) or on your backup (if you have one) or it is gone, unless you stored the music somewhere else.

alphonso49uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Thanks for that.I have a time machine backup of my entire drive.Is it possible to just restore a particular folder?
Ive never done it before.Also if I were to delete everything from my main I tunes page and then connected my ipod....would the music I have on the ipod automatically be transferred back into the media folder..ive ticked the box which says automatically put new files into the media folder

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.