Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loisd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
Hi guys,

I have unchecked most of my songs on iTunes to enable an easy iPod synchronization.

Still, iTunes now skips unchecked songs when I play music on my laptop. Has anyone an idea on how to deal with this?

Forgive me for my simpleness.
Thanks in advance for the help!

Lois

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I agree with Grimace, you're essentially working against iTunes by the way you're trying to use. Make use of the play lists.

captj

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
I know it's a nearly 2 year old thread but it still comes up in search results so I since I recently had this problem and figured it out without the annoying and painstaking suggestion of "make a playlist that you sync to your ipod/iphone with lots of parameters, you idiot" I thought I'd post here and help.

Just hit Ctrl+, (on windows) to bring up the Preferences window. On the General tab just uncheck "Show list checkboxes" (click it or hit alt+k) and the checkboxes should disappear and your itunes library will play the unchecked songs. when you want to sync, just hit Ctrl+, then Alt+k and the boxes are back and you can check and uncheck your songs as you wish.

Spong Mincer

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011
I know it's a nearly 2 year old thread but it still comes up in search results so I since I recently had this problem and figured it out without the annoying and painstaking suggestion of "make a playlist that you sync to your ipod/iphone with lots of parameters, you idiot" I thought I'd post here and help.

Just hit Ctrl+, (on windows) to bring up the Preferences window. On the General tab just uncheck "Show list checkboxes" (click it or hit alt+k) and the checkboxes should disappear and your itunes library will play the unchecked songs. when you want to sync, just hit Ctrl+, then Alt+k and the boxes are back and you can check and uncheck your songs as you wish.

finally. someone with a brain

Reactions: broly

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

Thank you very much!

seamesse

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2015

Yes! Thank you.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Make use of playlists, and sync manually.
Turn off auto sync in iTunes Prefs.
Those check boxes are intended for things like songs you've got the same version of on three separate albums, that one song you really hate, and Leo Kottke's vocal renditions.

broly

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2020
edmonton

fantastic. thank you.

finally. someone with a brain

I Like The Stock. I Post Because APPUL Is Superior, Not Because My Life Is About Subtly Promoting A Stock With Like-Minded People On This SIte.

on a more serious note: for the casuals who ask why someone would want this option, here's an easy scenario:
1. you have an iPod Touch Gen 6 or higher, and;
2. an iPod Classic
3. 5.1 audio in your library "unchecked" so your classic does not sync albums it cannot play, especially since they use (higher than average) space, but you want these albums on your iPod touch because it does support them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.