iTunes: How to unset "use itunes for internet playback"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by keaide, Feb 10, 2011.

1. keaide macrumors regular

Out of curiosity, I clicked on "use itunes for internet playback" in iTunes. But now it seems that there's no "undo" button for that... :eek:

So... how can I get my old setting back? I know there are tools called "RCDefaultApp" and MisFox to change the individual settings... but which settings/extensions/mime types do I need to change?

Or can I just copy a configuration file from my time machine backup to some place to restore the settings to the previous state?

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You didn't say what browser you are using, but if you have Firefox, go preferences>content, and you can change them all right there.

3. keaide thread starter macrumors regular

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Here it is:

5. keaide thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. That explanation then also suggests to manually change the file associations. Now what I would be interested in is actually _which_ associations were changed by iTunes to be able to change it back to the original application.

I also found a file called com.apple.LaunchServices.plist in my ~/Library/Preferences. When I change the file associations with RCDefaultApp, then this file gets edited. So is that where MacOs stores this information? And would I be fine with just copying a time machine backup from the previous day to replace the current file?

6. keaide thread starter macrumors regular

So i finally took RCDefaultApp and walked through all the extensions manually... changed the multimedia things to quicktime or VLC and let only iTunes-internal things (podcasts, equalizer etc.) associated to iTunes.