iTunes: how to update music's new location?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ancandis, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Ancandis macrumors member

Ancandis

I need a tool/method that does only two thing:

- rename a folder containing music files
    - report the changed location to iTunes

If I rename the a folder by hand or with a tagger, iTunes won't know the music's new folder name.

How can I rename a folder and report iTunes the new location for the media files? Thanks.

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I can't help with a tool, but if you do your renaming from within iTunes and allow iTunes to organize the music folder you won't need anything else.

3. jjbankhead macrumors newbie

I am having a similar issue...

I have live shows from a site called further and they are legal DL's...

the file/folder names are formatted to comply with that site's requirements.

I am trying to convert the folder and file names. I have them stored on cd (formatted as mp3) and am extracting them to my external HD.

I went into the "get info" on Itunes and changed all the necessary info and one of two things is happening.

1) one folder got split into two different albums of the same name. (i checked , double, triple and quadruple checked and i made the album and file info correct and they are the same album and artist spelling.)

2) if i try and change the name in the folder titled HD>Itunes>Music> ALBUM Folder> song file by editing the "get info" it will not stick. as soon as i close the folder and reopen it all the file names are as they were.

the problem is say for a folder for a recording of a grateful dead show the files will be titled gd1970-03-24d01t01 for disc one track one

i am trying to title them appropriately and having no luck.

thanks for any help