iTunes / iCloud etc... for my wife and I?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by cybertek, Oct 11, 2011.

1. cybertek macrumors regular

cybertek

I am new to Apple/iPhone and iTunes. My wife and I will be getting iPhones on Friday.

1. If we want to share iTunes music do we need to make all purchases under one account?
    2. Can you share purchased apps? if so should this be under the same shared account as iTunes?
    3. I assume we would not want to share or sync anything in iCloud.
    4. Any other things I need to know?

Thanks!

2. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

1. Yes, under one ITUNES STORE account you share. This can be different than personal iCloud accounts that would differ between you and your wife.
    Thanks!

2. Yes, use the same ITUNES STORE and the apps will be free to share.

3. In that case again be sure to use separate iCloud accounts.

4. Nope, you have a fairly straight ward use case. It gets a bit more complicated for former MobileMe users who shared more stuff with their spouse as with iCloud it has certain benefits, but limitations.

3. BNZ1 macrumors regular

When I updated my iPad and my partners iPhone to iOS5 they both defaulted to my iCloud account (the apple ID we use for the appstore).

After the setup I was able to delete the iCloud account on her iPhone and add a new iCloud account with her Apple ID. I then re-added my iCloud account for Find My iPhone feature as use the same account on all our devices for this.

I then had to change the apple id in Facetime, Messages, Game Center etc.

4. Ponderous macrumors regular

So this will allow you to both share the same apps and music, etc but allow you to each have your own contacts, email, calendar and the like?

Is it possible to share calendars between iCloud accounts?

5. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

yes, but not contacts.

6. shurcooL macrumors 6502a

Are you sure about this?

Can you plz confirm... So I could share my Apple ID with someone else so that we don't have to buy apps twice, but we can have our own Cloud IDs, so that music I buy appears only in my devices associated with my Cloud ID, and I'd have my own mail/contacts, etc.?

If that is so, what is the point of having different Apple IDs?

7. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

your a bit mixed up. there will be "two" IDs, one is your iCloud ID and the other your iTunes STORE ID. the iCloud ID will be for contacts/calendar/backup/docs etc. while the STORE ID will be for apps/music/books/videos. If you share the STORE ID then yes, whoever you share it with can download for free those items but you give them full access to your credit card, the ability to purchase etc. and only one store ID can be active on a device at a time so it isn't like you can share "some" of your stuff to go along with their stuff. it mainly is perfect for FAMILIES, ie. your wife and kids can run apps you buy and you can run apps they buy, all on your credit card. ;)

8. shurcooL macrumors 6502a

Ok, in that case I think my parents could share an Apple/iTunes Store account, rather than mom and dad having their own separate one. Thanks a lot!

9. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Totally correct. My wife and I have shared music and apps at no cost by using one iTunes store ID for 3 years now...

10. Rhodan macrumors member

Apologies for the n00b questions, we are about to get our first iPhones.

If we are sharing an Apple ID (store ID?), is it possible to have my own selection of music on my iPhone, and a different selection on my wife's? Or would both iPhone's have the same in sync?

What if I don't want an application on my iPhone that my wife bought? Is it possible to not install it when sharing the same ID ?

Thanks! :apple:

11. bwhinnen macrumors 6502

Yes it is. When you sync with iTunes just select the music you want for each device. My wife and I have separate playlists that we use to sync with.

With Apps, depending on the setting, they may install automatically on each device, but you can delete the from the device if you want and they remain in the "cloud" or iTunes :)

Brett

12. Rhodan macrumors member

13. cybertek thread starter macrumors regular

cybertek

14. tazinlwfl macrumors regular

tazinlwfl

I think I need a little bit more information...

I have an older 3GS - just updated to iOS 5. I want to enable iCloud and set up a @me.com email address. I am the only one in my household with an iOS device.

This Friday, we are getting two new iPhones. I will be handing my 3GS to my Mom, and my fiance and I will be using the new 4S's.

I assume that the iCloud I set up on my 3GS will move over fine on me 4S, but I want my mom and my fiance to both have access to all of my older purchases on my Apple ID up to this point, and I want them both to have their own iCloud accounts. The fact that I used my Apple ID to create my iCloud account - does that mean that they will not be able to use my Apple ID with their iCloud to sync apps and music? I understand they can have their own iCloud accounts on their phones, and they can log in to the iTunes/App Store with my Apple ID, but will those songs and apps sync properly to their own iCloud accounts? Does the iTunes in the Cloud feature work with all iCloud accounts? If I get iTunes Match, will that be attached to my iCloud account or my iTunes ID?

I want everyone to have access to the same library of apps and music, but to have their own @me iCloud account.

Also - periodicals in the Newsstand - do they update via iCloud or iTunes? If I have a subscription to Wired, will all of my iPhones get it?

15. thenewt macrumors newbie

Wife and I want to share...but not sure how

Wife has a new Macbook Air with nothing yet in itunes

I have a Macbook Air with a music Library much, but not all, of which she would like to have

When I bought her Air, I set up a new itunes account for her but haven't used it

I have an iphone and an ipad, and she has an ipod we would like to use.

SO: two Airs, one iphone, one ipod, one ipad.

WHAT IS THE BEST SET-UP FOR US?

It seems to me we should share one of the itunes account as that allows for 5 devices.....am I correct? But how would it work then if we have separate icloud accounts?

Thanks much for your help
    Newt

16. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

icloud account only refers to mail/calendar/contacts/reminders/bookmarks/notes/photostream/documents&data/find my iphone. you can both have separate icloud accounts for those reasons, but still use the same store account on each device. So if you do itunes match....it doesn't have to do with icloud and uses your store account login.

Here's how we have ours setup....

-wife icloud which is her personal Gmail address (we also have me.com but don't use that anymore)
    -me icloud which is my personal gmail address (also have me.com as well but don't use it)
    iTunes account which is another gmail address that we've used since we started downloading things back in the day. If you go under settings then store- make sure you both use the same itunes account in there. So when my wife makes purchases on her phone she is making them with our original itunes account that we started forever ago...it's the same for me. No need to pay for double the songs or apps. Your iCloud accounts can be different to store the other items above like I mentioned.

iTunes and iCloud are actually different, but they make them sound like they are all together.

17. synigal macrumors newbie

Want To Be Sure I Understand iTunes Sharing

My husband and I have iPhones and seperate iTune accounts. We are now sharing an iPad and want to put information from both iTune accounts on the iPad but do not want to combine iTune accounts. Can we do this? What about our music which is totally different we don't like the same stuff?
    thanks