iTunes, iCloud, iMac Accounts???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CRK17, Oct 13, 2012.

1. CRK17 macrumors newbie

I’m confused about setting up individual iCloud, iTunes and AppleID’s. Right now we have an iMac with 3 different user accounts on. One for my wife, one for me and one for the kids. We have one AppleID for the iMac and we have one iTunes account which we share.

Now we would like to have an iTunes account for each of us along with an iCloud account for each of us.

If we set up individual iTunes accounts and use iCloud how does iCloud know which iCalendar belongs to each iCloud account?

This is what I would like it to look like:

Wife:
    Own iTunes account
    Own iCloud account
    Maintain own user account on the iMac
    Be able to sync her iPhone, iPad and iMac user account (iCal, iPhoto, etc.) via iCloud

Me:
    Own iTunes account
    Own iTunes account
    Be able to sync my iPhone and iMac user account (iCal, iPhoto, etc.) via iCloud

Kids
    Own iTunes account

Do I need to set up individual AppleID’s for each iMac account?

I’m a little gun shy here because we once tried setting up a MobilMe account and ended up losing my wife’s contacts which was rather bad since most of them are related to the business she owns.

2. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

If you want to keep your wife's sync items separate from yours and still use iCloud, you'll need to have two different iCloud accounts. No reason to set up an iCloud account for the kids' account - if you're just using iTunes and OS X, you don't need to supply any Apple ID or iCloud information.