iTunes + iCloud + Match question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Zimmy68, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

Still haven't seen a clear answer to this.

If my iTunes library is on my home PC and I sign up for the Match service, I know I can download to my phone the songs from my library I might want to add.

My question is, does that work the same for other PCs?

If I am at work, and log into my account on iTunes, will I be able to see my library in the cloud and pick and choose what to download?

I would say yes, since they specifically called PCs part of their devices, but I'm not sure.

Has it been made clear yet?

2. Tabris82 macrumors member

Tabris82

Sorry but I have a lot of questions to tack onto this...

1. How does Match 'scan' the files in your iTunes?

• Track names/ID4 information?
    • A Shazam style algorithmic fingerprint?
    • Track length?
    • Combo of these for a best guess?
    2. Will certain file types not be accepted?

3.Will they consider purchase information inside a file at all when they scan? (Let's say my friend gave me a copy of music he bought on iTunes, or I had an old account that I no longer use... will those be matched?)

4.What happens to the files when you stop paying the service?

5.Does apple report/record any findings in any way, shape, or form internally or externally?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

*6. Will it store my ratings, is there a way to have iCloud backup such?

3. brayhite macrumors 6502a

I too would like an answer as it seems there hasn't been a clear one yet.

4. stevenpa macrumors 6502

I think if you are logged into your account you can see it. Up to 10 devices iirc, if not then the standard 5 at least. Once it's released we'll know for sure.

5. duky macrumors 6502

1. I would guess it works like the current 'Get Album Artwork' feature - metatag info
    2. What file types? I don't see why all file types accepted in iTunes wouldn't work
    3. There is no longer DRM on files purchased from iTunes. I'm sure if a song is DRM'ed (old iTunes content), they would not match it
    4. No files are downloaded and stored on your computer so when you stop using the service you no longer have access to the files (that are stored on the cloud)
    5. I'm sure they will disclose this once released officially but they would be fools not to try and collect information on what music people like and use it for Genius etc
    6. iCloud doesn't backup your music so why would it backup your ratings?

6. duky macrumors 6502

Interesting thought though. If they purely base the Match on metadata then you could essentially get free music by having a dummy file on your computer that you name as the song you want to listen to. I assume they'll have some way around this. All will be revealed soon enough!

7. brayhite macrumors 6502a

Devices, including computers? Scenario being if I unload most of my music onto an external and let iTunes Match acquire all of my music, I can listen to anything from my iTunes collection via iCloud on my iTunes? I guess there will be an iCloud Music Library on the left similar to Home Sharing?