iTunes iCloud vs local storage

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by df22799, Feb 14, 2012.

1. df22799 macrumors newbie

I have my library on an external network drive and my itunes uploaded/ matched the library just fine.
    Listening from other iOS devices or authorized computers works just fine.(data is read form iCloud)

But! If I`m not on my network (with the original itunes computer) I cannot play any file! It ask me if I want to locate it since it can`t find it.

So obviously it`s trying to acces the NAS (which is unavailable of course since I`m not at home) and doesn`t try to use the cloud library!

How do I handle this?

2. 7PastShilton macrumors newbie

HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AS YOU UNTIL I SAW THIS
    Brilliantly simple

I FOUND THIS REPLY TO A SIMILAR PROBLEM FROM http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=45497

"The computer that you initiate the Match from will not have access to your library through the cloud (why would it need it? Ostensibly the music is local to that computer right?) A work-around I've suggested here before to people in your situation is to open iTunes with a second profile. Leave that profile empty but attach it to your Match account. That will allow you to stream the music to that computer when the drive is not available, and you can still attach to the main profile"

"Open iTunes while holding down the shift key (Windows) or Option key (Mac). This will give you the opportunity to create a new profile. Leave this library empty, but sign into iTunes Match. You'll now see your entire library 'in the cloud', and be able to stream it from Apple's servers. If you want to switch back, merely open iTunes the same way and choose your original library. necessary"

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1281603

3. df22799 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!!!

too bad it`s only a workaround but it`s something at least..!