iTunes icon refuses to be changed (only iTunes icon)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Baghdadify, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Baghdadify macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, first post, hopefully the first of many.

Here's my problem. I'm trying to change my icons in mac. I've been using Liteicon for this, but since (apparently) you can't change the iTunes icon using it, I tried doing it by going to the applications folder, selecting iTunes, going to "get info" and then dragging the new icon to the top left corner where the iTunes icon is.

Problem is, it won't change. The cursor will change into a cursor with a little green ball with a + in it, but there is no effect. I tried unlocking the lock on the bottom right side of the window, made no difference.

I've googled this and searched this forum for a couple of hours, got nothing. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

By the way, I changed the Firefox icon the same exact way, no problem. I'm running as an admin as well.

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Right-click show package contents.

Attached Files:

3. Baghdadify thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply! I've tried that last night, below is a screen of what happened. Basically it just turned into the default "application" icon. I tried relaunching finder, and I even restarted my MBP. Nothing.

However, I had to add the .icns extension to the icon myself. Could it be because of that?

EDIT: If it helps anything, I'm running snow leopard.

Attached Files:

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Yes. Adding .icns doesn't automatically change that file folder into an icon file.

Highlight your desired icon. Press command I to get the info box up. Select the icon from within that info box (same method you were trying first). Press command c to copy it. Now, open up Preview and paste from clipboard. Save that as icns format and try again.

5. Baghdadify thread starter macrumors newbie

Attached Files:

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Try saving the largest picture as a .png file and then convert it to .icns.

7. Baghdadify thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes! That worked. Thanks a lot for the help my friend :D