iTunes ignoring authorized songs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aloofman, Apr 27, 2007.

1. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I've seen similar issues mentioned here, but maybe not this exact one.

I had bought a new Mac last year and the only hiccup is that it won't play my older iTunes-bought songs. When it shuffles to one of them in my library, I'm asked to authorize it. I enter the password, it notifies me that the song is now authorized on two of five computers.

But then trying to play the song will bring up another request for a password to authorize it. No matter how many times I do it for the same song, it still contacts the Music Store and says I'm authorized on 2 of 5 computers. Despite that assurance, it doesn't stick. Since it's not authorizing on the new Mac, it's not transferring to my iPod either. It's like iTunes is ignoring its own actions. iTunes works normally in every other way except for this. Any thoughts as to why this might be?

2. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

I had this problem with a song I bought from my work computer. After a week or so of futzing, I was able to copy the song to a hard drive and load it again - this time when it asked me to authorize it, it accepted my authorization.

I'll never again impulse buy from the wrong computer. (and Apple likes impulse buying).

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

whenever i have a problem like this, i e-mail or call iTunes support and they have always reauthorized me to download the song again.

4. aloofman thread starter macrumors 68020

aloofman

It's about 60 songs though, so would I give a list to Apple? How does that work?

I bought the songs on my previous computer in a piecemeal way, so it's not like I did something unusual.

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

you should list the songs and make sure you keep a copy for yourself. tell them what the deal is and they'll most likely accommodate you. they don't want to make you unhappy, especially since you're (apparently) a good customer.