Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
Any idea when these "main" applications will have 64-bit?

I noticed that apple says that nearly all system applications will be 64-bit.. I think that iTunes, iLife and iWork are "system" applications...

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Any idea when these "main" applications will have 64-bit?

I noticed that apple says that nearly all system applications will be 64-bit.. I think that iTunes, iLife and iWork are "system" applications...

iLife, iWork and iTunes are not System Applications.

iTunes has not been rewritten in 64 bit as yet, nor is it a cocoa app.

I'd assume that in the next version of all these apps there will be the significant upgrade to the code to allow full access to Snow Leopard's new technologies.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I'd guess iLife '10.

They are not system apps.

Do you think that the consumer apps will require a paid update to go Cocoa/64-bit?

I only ask because Apple just released FCS3 and LS2 before Snow Leopard. That doesn't make any sense to me–unless they're planning on a point release for each of the apps in the suites, giving them GCT goodness–because updates only happen once every two years or so.

Do you think that Apple would allow their professional apps to sit with two-year-old technology, having been released JUST prior to their multithreading tech?

I just don't see Apple making professionals pay for Snow Leopard enhancements to FCS2 and LS2 (and Aperture 3, yet to be released), but I do see iWork '10 and iLife '10 being the first we see such things on the consumer front.

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
Do you think that the consumer apps will require a paid update to go Cocoa/64-bit?

I only ask because Apple just released FCS3 and LS2 before Snow Leopard. That doesn't make any sense to me–unless they're planning on a point release for each of the apps in the suites, giving them GCT goodness–because updates only happen once every two years or so.

Do you think that Apple would allow their professional apps to sit with two-year-old technology, having been released JUST prior to their multithreading tech?

I just don't see Apple making professionals pay for Snow Leopard enhancements to FCS2 and LS2 (and Aperture 3, yet to be released), but I do see iWork '10 and iLife '10 being the first we see such things on the consumer front.

I would also think that if they release a new version of iTunes (iTunes 9) this september it might be 64-Bit?! Who knows?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Correction

Oops, iTunes is a System Application.

Apple say that all system apps apart from Front Row, DVD Player and iTunes have been written in 64 bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.