iTunes - Importing cds and converting files uses all of my systems memory

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by luckylisp, Apr 19, 2009.

1. luckylisp macrumors 6502

I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem? Whenever I import a cd into iTunes, or convert a track to a different bit rate, it literally uses all my computer's memory/CPU. I cannot use the computer for anything else during this time as it's far far too slow, to the point where programs won't even open. This wasn't always the case, but it seems with each new version of iTunes it becomes worse and worse. I import at a pretty low bitrate 128 mp3. I am only trying to surf the net when I'm importing, I'm not doing anything else or using/running any other programs. If I do try to use another program (like my email program - outlook) it will barely open, takes forever to do anything, and wants to freeze. I can't use Microsoft Word because typing anything is impossible. Massive lag before the typed words show up.

I'm using Windows XP, the latest version of iTunes (8.1) and I have 1GB of ram. I don't have any other problems with memory other then when converting or importing cds in iTunes. My computer runs fast and flawless otherwise, even when using 3 or 4 programs at once. It's only iTunes that hogs all the memory when importing cds or converting tracks.

Is there a way to make iTunes use less memory when importing/converting? Any suggestions in general?

2. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Considering that you are running XP, I can't be of a lot of in depth assistance on how to speed up your machine. Considering you still have XP, your computer is at least 2 years old, so the processor may be a single core. That single core could be a bottleneck for your computer, as converting songs is encoding, which is VERY processor intensive. Also, you stated that you have 1gb of RAM. In this day and age, 1gb of RAM is the absolute MINIMUM you want in any machine (save for a $250 Linux netbook). That 1gb is not really enough to handle iTunes and one or two browser windows. iTunes, especially in cover flow and grid view is a RAM HOG. I would look into an upgrade for your computer's RAM first of all, considering an additional 2gb stick can be had for $30. With 3gb, your machine will fly. Also, anything more would be useless because you most likely have a 32-bit XP operating system. My iMac would get thousands of page-outs within 15 minutes of start up with 1gb, and after upgrading to 3gb, I have 0 page outs in 5 days of continuous usage (including, but not limited to iTunes, ripping dvds, ripping cds, up to 15 Safari 4 windows, importing iPhoto pictures, and using Adium chat)

At this point, upgrading RAM may be your best option. I really like crucial.com because they help you find the right RAM and they have a lifetime warranty.

3. luckylisp thread starter macrumors 6502

ok thanks very much for you reply. I was thinking that was likely the problem, but unfortunately my machine is maxed out with the 1GB of RAM and I can't add anymore. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a way I could change settings to have it use less memory. So, all said, I think it's pretty much just time for a new computer soon. Thanks again for your thoughts.

4. luckylisp thread starter macrumors 6502

5. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

At the very least, you could turn off any equalizer and set the view to list view. That uses significantly less memory than grid or cover flow.

6. luckylisp thread starter macrumors 6502

I do have it set to list view, not sure about the equalizer bit though.. I'll check.

7. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Another alternative you could try is to use a different program to rip, then drag the files into iTunes and see if that program uses as much RAM. The processor is going to spike regardless. My Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz with 3gb RAM gets up to about 50% on each core plus uses about 400mb of RAM in grid view with no equalizer and a 175gb library.