iTunes in console-only OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jpcanaverde, May 2, 2014.

1. jpcanaverde macrumors member

Hi. I'm running Snow Leopard on a machine with very little resources. As such, it crashes frequently. So I decided to turn off the GUI using this guide: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20030603183119799

I log into my account, and it works fine and fast. Things I configured in the GUI such as AFP file sharing work as they should. However, I don't know how to get iTunes to work. I just need it to share my iTunes Library over Home Sharing. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iTunes requires a GUI. It does not have a console mode.

3. jpcanaverde thread starter macrumors member

Is there any way to just run it as a server? Just running the process would be enough, since everything is already configured. It just wouldn't launch the GUI.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

5. jpcanaverde thread starter macrumors member

Any third party offerings? Like a DAAP server?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There are some third party ones, but I do not know if they can serve to other iTunes 8+ computers or other iOS based devices.

7. jpcanaverde thread starter macrumors member

Well, I guess it's a matter of trying. I'll be using it mainly to stream TV shows and movies to my Apple TV. Any third party app suggestions then?

8. Alrescha macrumors 68020

How limited can it be? I ran my media server for years on a 2006 Mac mini using Snow Leopard with 2 GB of RAM. It was not fast, but it never crashed.

A.

9. jpcanaverde thread starter macrumors member

It's a netbook (hackintosh) with 1GB of RAM running SL from a USB flash drive since the integrated SSD doesn't work (can't be replaced).

10. Alrescha macrumors 68020

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I don't know of any, but I do know that the Apple TV will only stream from an iTunes server because of its authentication requirements.

12. NexusHubs macrumors newbie

NexusHubs

Any other services on the 1GB Hackintosh? Linux should run much smoother if you just need AFP and DAAP servers.

Personally I run forked-daapd on a 512MB, very old Debian server for years.

13. jpcanaverde thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I tried using FreeNAS at first, but it doesn't support HFS. I also searched a bit and it doesn't seem like Linux supports it either. I can't reformat it because it's a 2TB disk and I have no way of backing it up.

It's really just AFP (read/write) and iTunes, but the only way I could get it to work was to install OS X. I could deal with it being painfully slow, but it crashes constantly and I have to reboot it manually which takes a long time.

14. NexusHubs macrumors newbie

NexusHubs

If you need Time Machine backup, you might have to rely on Darwin, which provide stable HFS+ support and hard-linking that Time Machine requires. In Apple.com forums I've heard several horror stories of people backing to 3rd party drives.

15. jpcanaverde thread starter macrumors member

I have no way of backing it up as in I have no other disk with 2TB or more.

Also, I tried to install Darwin prior to installing OS X, but it seems to be impossible on this PC.