iTunes in the Car

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by matruski, Apr 8, 2009.

1. matruski macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if there is a good solution for music libraries and cars? All the pieces are there, it just seems like no one's put them together. I'm referring to an car audio system that used WiFi to sync up with say, your iTunes library. No CDs. No MP3 CDs. No DVDs. No USB drives. No iPods to connect or disconnect.

Anything like it? the iTunes part wouldn't be important, that just seems like the likliest suspect for this kind of setup.

2. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I have seen a few mods that involve placing Mac Minis inside the car, and hooking the monitor up to the car's display. But outside of that, my best solution so far has been to use Simplify on my iPhone. It allows me to connect to my iTunes library at home as long as I have a 3G connection somewhere.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

4. matruski thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies

But I'm not referring to a mod, so much as a product on market that has wifi functionality allowing you to download your mp3s or movie files to the car system, getting rid of the need to physically transport the data. The idea is, you just park within range of your home network and sync up to the home computer.

Thanks

5. matruski thread starter macrumors newbie

omnifi

It looks like Fosgate used to make the Omnifi system which sounds pretty close to what I'm asking about... but they no longer make it and I can't seem to find a similar product... this seems like a total no brainer to me. Apple and iTunes - get your act together on car audio systems!!!!!

6. Meatball macrumors regular

Well you could use your iPod and an Alpine IDA-X100 or X305, the easiest and most effective iPod head unit.

Or you could get technical and get a double din touchscreen to place in your dash. Hook up a netbook to the display with your iTunes collection on with iTunes. Then all you need to do is put iTunes' coverflow fullscreen :cool:.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I think you're in the minority of how people use iPods, which is why that hasn't been focused on. I think iPods with WiFi (touch, iPhone) are going to need wireless syncing in the very near future to deal with issues like this. But I just take my iPhone in and plug it up.

8. goodwilldrums macrumors regular

I've been saying this for a while

I've had this idea in my head ever since I started playing my ipod in my car over three years ago via ipod connector to the aux input of my cars stereo system. I want a product like this SO bad that I actually wrote my idea into Apple. Not sure if they read it or not but it sounded something like this:

It would be an all glass display that is multi-touch similar to the iPhone. This device would replace any sound system you have in your dash; and be about a 6-10 inch screen. It would incorporate your AM/FM radio stations, CD/DVD player, iPod, maps, etc. And the best part about it all is that it would sync to your iTunes library at home every time you park in your garage or driveway at night as it would also connect to your home wireless internet. It would act just like an Apple TV in this regard.

I think the only problem with selling this product is that it would have to be professionally installed. But I guess technically they do this with the iPod connector I got for my car to connect to the aux of my stereo system. But if they ever come out with this product I will be FIRST in line.

9. goodwilldrums macrumors regular

10. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yeah but the whole point is battery life. you charge while syncing. if your iPod was in your car or something i guess that would make sense - but syncing over bluetooth would probably be a better idea.

and as for the OP's question. there are many head units like dension:

http://www.amazon.com/Dension-DH100ix-player-receiver-120Gb/dp/B00081P1PU

that offer storage, however if you are constantly adding songs to your collection that might not be the best idea.

11. goodwilldrums macrumors regular

I found it

Okay I'm home from work and I found the document that I wrote to Apple a few months ago.

"My products concept basically boils down to having your Apple TV in your car! Except it would take on a much more hands on experience. Like with your iPhone or iPod touch. It would be an in dash unit, which would incorporate everything your phone, iPod, and Apple TV does. It could be about a 10.5" glass screen to replace anyone's existing car stereo system. The best part about this product (aside from the UI and functionality of music, videos, GPS maps, etc.) is that it would sync every night you are parked in your garage via Wi-Fi. Exactly how your Apple TV is synced, this would act the same way and show up in your iTunes devices panel.

I know I would definitely purchase this product. I currently have an iPod running though my auxiliary connection. And every time I have a change in my music library I have to take it out of my car, sync it, put it back in my car, etc."

Is this about the same thing you were thinking of matruski??

12. matruski thread starter macrumors newbie

absolutely goodwilldrums

And regarding the comment about being in the minority... Well I think that's pretty obvious given that there is apparently no other way to get iTunes or something like it in the car. I do disagree, though, that Apple would make this. I think they just need to get with someone like pioneer who could just get iTunes compatible with their hardware - similar to the idea of teh ROKR phone. This is definitely the future. I'm glad I'm not alone in my prophetness. It's just too obvious that this is where car audio is going. Ideally, no one wants to plug in their iPod and play off of that. It's ugly, it's inefficient, and it's a sloppy way of addressing the problem, that being "how do I get my music in my car?" All I need is a 100 GB drive (less for most people), some playlists, and I'm done. It's beautiful. Heck, if it had 3G or something similar it could sync at all times regardless of location.

13. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

I got an iPod Shuffle hooked to the AUX IN of my car, but that's probably not quite the thing you are looking for. ;) I do park within range of my WiFi network, so I would be all in for a proper iTunes-in-my-car solution!