Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0blivion

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Hey everyone!

Quick question. Let's say I put some songs from a CD onto my computer or I download music using something other then iTunes but then import the songs onto iTunes, is there no way to sync those songs to the other devices over the air? Are songs transferred wirelessly if and only if they are purchased on iTunes?
I have this physical copy of an album, and I imported in onto iTunes, but when I go onto my iPhone and looked at the cloud thing, I can't seem to find the music from the CD. Any ideas?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Basically, you can ONLY download stuff that's in the iTunes store over-the-air.

Now, if you pay for the yearly $25 'iTunes Match' service then those CD-imported tracks will connect to iTunes and the iTunes store will pretend you had originally bought them from iTunes.

So that's what that $25 per year fee gets you. If you decide to not pay for that then you go back to using your USB cable for all those songs.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
Basically, you can ONLY download stuff that's in the iTunes store over-the-air.

That is a little misleading.

If you use iTunes Match then any stuff you have on your computer which isn't in the iTunes store will be uploaded to the cloud so it will then be available to download to other devices.

If it is in the iTunes store then it won't have to be uploaded.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Will iTunes in the cloud allow me to sync all of my 76,822 Napster songs to all my iOS devices?

CmdrThor

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Will iTunes in the cloud allow me to sync all of my 76,822 Napster songs to all my iOS devices?

It will, but doing so is no more or less legal than if you had manually copied all of those songs to your iOS devices. The $25 iTunes Match just makes it easy to copy your library from the cloud.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
That is a little misleading.

If you use iTunes Match then any stuff you have on your computer which isn't in the iTunes store will be uploaded to the cloud so it will then be available to download to other devices.

If it is in the iTunes store then it won't have to be uploaded.

Really?

I thought it just ignored those files. Ok, well then it seems like a slightly better deal than I was thinking.

dbs0026

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2011

Seriously though, they need to up it from 20k. Google is killing me right now with only allowing 20k in the cloud also. I have 65000 songs that I would like to sing and that's no lie either. That would be my complete collection and would be nice to have available wherever I am at.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Seriously though, they need to up it from 20k. Google is killing me right now with only allowing 20k in the cloud also. I have 65000 songs that I would like to sing and that's no lie either. That would be my complete collection and would be nice to have available wherever I am at.

Wow didn't know there was a 20,000 song limit :eek:

Slowlo

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
Apple.com said:
iTunes Match
If you want the benefits of iTunes in the Cloud for music you haven’t purchased from iTunes, iTunes Match is the perfect solution. It’s built right into the iTunes app on your Mac or PC and the Music app on your iOS devices. And it lets you store your entire collection, including music you’ve imported from CDs or purchased somewhere other than iTunes. For just $24.99 a year.

Here’s how it works: iTunes determines which songs in your collection are available in the iTunes Store. Any music with a match is automatically added to your iCloud library. Since there are more than 20 million songs in the iTunes Store, most of your music is probably already in iCloud. All you have to upload is what iTunes can’t match. Which is much faster than starting from scratch. Once your music is in iCloud, you can stream and store it on any of your devices. Even better, all the music iTunes matches plays back from iCloud at 256-Kbps AAC DRM-free quality — even if your original copy was of lower quality.

I find it interesting that it says "stream" in reference to music, since I've seen people on here say several times that you can't stream. Maybe that's unique to Match and not an iCloud-specific thing. Either way, definitely some potential there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.