iTunes Incomplete Library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dotfuz, Mar 21, 2012.

1. dotfuz macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I searched and searched but couldn't find the answer to this particular issue. If I've not looked hard enough and my query has already been answered then could the Moderators please redirect me and lock/delete this thread.

I'm having trouble adding my music to iTunes. I know for a fact that there's 12,322 MP3 files (which I don't know if it makes any difference, but I copied them over from an external NTFS drive). I dragged them into the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder and had set the preferences to keep my library organised, and once the process of organising them had concluded, iTunes only shows 6622 of them.

I did a search in the folder and the files are definitely there, sorted in the respective folder for each artist (as it has sorted them), but then going back into iTunes when searching the music the songs don't show up.

If I double click the song from the artist name folder in Finder, it gets added to my iTunes library, but considering the number of albums still outstanding it would take hours to do so one by one to make sure they're all added, and without duplicates.

Please help?

Thanks in advance.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you verified that they are all .mp3 files, or are some in another format that iTunes doesn't recognize?
    If that adds them, then click File > Add to Library and select the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder. It will not add items that already exist in the library. It won't create duplicates.

3. dotfuz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, sorry for the delayed response, I've been busy with work.
    Yes the files are all definitely .mp3. There's only 6 .wma files which have gone into the "Not Added" folder.

I tried the "Add to Library" option you suggested but it made no difference as the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder is empty (with the exception of the "Not Added" folder and it's contents).

4. dotfuz thread starter macrumors newbie

I ended up doing them in small batches. Took a few days but it's done now.

Mods you can delete/lock this thread if you like.