Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rugbydman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
Staffordshire, UK
hi
So recently purchased a new MacBook Pro. My iTunes library lives on a wd my home nas. Everything worked fine with old MacBook
When I setup new MacBook pointed at library it worked fine then the other day it said library file invalid.
Created a damaged one. Tried using a previous library file. But they don’t populate from media folder

So lots of reading I decided t create new library on external disk. Copied my music in. And added it to library
Great everything working
Closed iTunes reopened invalid library file.
It opens and again not adding my music from the folder

What’s going on

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I've found that if iTunes doesn't exit cleanly it can damage the library files, or if the network connection is interrupted during a write too perhaps.

My NAS keeps a "recycle bin" and I can pull ones from there, or from backup. I don't think it's happened since I upgraded to Mojave though. It's the kind of thing that tends to happen once or twice a year perhaps.

So I don't have an answer, except that it's working in my case.

I think a more reliable method is to keep the library files local and keep the media on the NAS. That's not what I do, but I was contemplating moving to this structure.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Come to think of it, I recall a thread a week or so ago where a poster had issues with SMB3. My NAS uses SMB1/CIFS. I'm not sure which version of SMB you're using, but it's worth looking into all the same. Might be unrelated, might not.

Rugbydman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
Staffordshire, UK
Come to think of it, I recall a thread a week or so ago where a poster had issues with SMB3. My NAS uses SMB1/CIFS. I'm not sure which version of SMB you're using, but it's worth looking into all the same. Might be unrelated, might not.
Hi
What is this how would I find out what my nas uses

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Hi
What is this how would I find out what my nas uses

I would contact WD and ask them which specific version of SMB you’re using, and if it’s not SMB1, can SMB1 be enabled.

Bear in mind that SMB1 is not very secure. For home use it’s fine, but given the option of running 1 or 3 you should run 3. But if you have an option to try SMB1/CIFS for short term comparison purposes it would be worthwhile.

Rugbydman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
Staffordshire, UK
I would contact WD and ask them which specific version of SMB you’re using, and if it’s not SMB1, can SMB1 be enabled.

Bear in mind that SMB1 is not very secure. For home use it’s fine, but given the option of running 1 or 3 you should run 3. But if you have an option to try SMB1/CIFS for short term comparison purposes it would be worthwhile.

Thanks. Something is going. Just had another message saying it needs to create a new time machine backup now

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Not to ask a stupid question, but to ask a stupid question, you've rebooted the WD box and your wifi router right?

I've seen those Time Machine errors too, but again, once a year I suppose. Perhaps twice, but not common.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Its still doing the same things with iTunes

Well that sucks.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that asking WD if you can use SMB1/CIFS will result in a big "?" response. So instead, if it was me, I would modify my library and keep my library files local, and the media on the NAS.

The iTunes Library.xml, iTunes Library.itl, and the .idb files, I would store locally.

That's probably a bit of work, but it might be more reliable.

I have no other ideas, apart from waiting for Mojave's .1 version.

Rugbydman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
Staffordshire, UK
Well that sucks.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that asking WD if you can use SMB1/CIFS will result in a big "?" response. So instead, if it was me, I would modify my library and keep my library files local, and the media on the NAS.

The iTunes Library.xml, iTunes Library.itl, and the .idb files, I would store locally.

That's probably a bit of work, but it might be more reliable.

I have no other ideas, apart from waiting for Mojave's .1 version.

Ok

Thanks for your help

im also have trouble with time machine backups. so tried to delete them and start again.
keeps saying can't delete bands in use

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.