iTunes & iPhone Audiobook Question?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dream.Finder, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Dream.Finder macrumors member

Hello,

I recently purchased 2 CD audiobooks online and then transfered them to iTunes. When I do this however, it simply transfers them to the normal music lists with my musical CD's.

When I look on my iPhone, I notice there's a list of categories: Albums, Audiobooks, Compilations, Composers, Genres, iTunes U, Podcasts... my question is, "How do I make the audiobook appear under the audiobook category? Will it still show up in my CD lists, or only under the audiobook category? Is it only audiobooks downloaded from iTunes that appear as audiobooks in the proper category? Or can I manually change my CD audiobooks' status? :confused:

Thanks!

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

iTunes seems to sort things by file extensions.

Example: iTunes will always put .mp3 under music, .m4r under ringtones, .m4b under Audiobooks.

You can try renaming the extension to .m4b and play it for a moment.

3. Zcott macrumors 68020

If you right click the files in iTunes, under the options tab you should be able to select the type as audiobook. Then re-sync.

4. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Here's how I do it on my Windows XP machine:

After importing an audiobook CD, I'll select "Recently Added", then organize by the tab "Date Added" to isolate the individual CDs.

Select all the tracks from CD-1 and right click and select "Get Info". (It will usually popup the first time to gripe about multiple tracks, but I just click OK)

Under "Get Info", select the "Options" tab, then under "Media Kind", select "Audiobook". Also select "Remember Position" checkbox here too.

Also while "Get Info" is open, now is a good time to name the Album (Info tab) something like GreatGatsby-1 or whatever so you can work thru the CDs in order.

Now hook up your device, select it to bring up the sync options for your device, click on the "Books" tab, then click the checkbox "Sync Audiobooks". You can have it sync all or selected books.

Have fun.
    Sean

5. PaulMoore macrumors regular

I have another question on the same subject- more of a problem- when I rip an Audiobook CD, classify it in iTunes as an Audiobook and then sync to my iPhone it completely ignores the individual track names (useful if it is a book of short stories) and renames them (on the iPhone) as 'Chapter 1' through however many tracks... is there any way of maintaining the track names but also having it in Audiobook format (which has the useful 30 sec rewind and variable playing speed)?