iTunes: iPhone photo data showing up as "other"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jj5406, Aug 18, 2015.

1. jj5406 macrumors newbie

My problem seems to be the reverse problem of what I find most complaints about when I try and search for this.

Since I haven't culled it in a while, the photos and videos on my iPhone (5s, iOS 8.4.1) take up quite a lot of space. If I look on my phone under settings->general->usage->manage storage, it says my photo library is 8.1 GB, which is probably correct - almost none of that is in "recently deleted". However, when I connect my phone to my computer, in the Summary tab of iTunes (12.2.2.25), the pink photo section of the usage bar says only 152.5 MB (1047 photos), while "Other" is 7.31 GB (Documents and data is 2.25 GB). That ~1000 number, seems about right (if you add up camera roll, favorites, panos, videos, etc. it adds up to ~1000), but the data size listed in iTunes is clearly incorrect. At several MB per photo, 1000 photos should be several GB in size. But in that count are also ~40 panos and ~130 videos/slo-mo, which is probably what brings the total to the 8GB used that my phone reports. So why is iTunes not showing the correct data size under photos? It seems like much of the data that is reported as "Other" and maybe some as "Documents and Data" are probably my photos and videos. Also, another inconsistency is that my phone reports 6.3 GB available, while iTunes says it has 7.97 GB free.

This is clearly not a show stopper, but it is an annoying bug. It seems like most of the photo/video data on my phone is being classified as "other" in iTunes. I've tried doing a hard reboot of the phone, restarting iTunes, clicking and unblocking the "automatically sync" box, but it still reports the data usage incorrectly in iTunes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-J

2. Corgirat macrumors member

Hi I have the same problem. Did you get to fix this??

3. Corgirat macrumors member

I have an Apple support guy working on this issue right now! He took time and remotely looked at exact issue and I was able to demonstrate how happens. He escalated this to engineering team and will get back to me on Friday. I will let you know the outcome.

4. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

5. Corgirat macrumors member

Today Apple support did screen recoding and took my system logs while syncing videos and how it converted them to "other" to be submitted to iTunes engineers. I hope we get this resolved soon!!

6. Sare2514 macrumors newbie

Sare2514

First of all, we should know what is "other" storage exactly. Generally, “Other” storage includes all the data which is cannot be clearly categorized to the current categories, which are Audio, Photos, Apps, Books, Documents & Data. You can read this about what is Other storage on iPhone. Hope it useful! However, why the data size listed in iTunes is incorrect as you said, I think may be becauce of statistical algorithm.

7. William Wales macrumors member

William Wales

Since iTunes categorizes cached files as Other, reported usage for Music or Videos might differ.

8. Corgirat macrumors member

Hey guys, exciting news! Apple might have just fixed this issue for us. Today I updated my iTunes and iPhone to the latest, released just now, then for some reason the Photo wasn't automatically put back into my iPhone after restoring from the backup so I had to sync them back. Next thing I noticed, the "other" was no longer there with proper amount of pink "photo" category! Try it out and let me know so that I can thank the Apple care guy who's worked with me for weeks of back and forth.