iTunes/iPhone Podcast sync issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by e.m., Aug 1, 2008.

1. e.m. macrumors 6502

Hi all.

Ever since iTunes 7.7 and iPhone 2.0, podcasts aren't syncing properly.

I have mine set so only those that's never been listened to before gets synced to the iPhone. Since the updates, this sync has been inconsistent. Sometimes, it behaves as expected, but other times, podcasts that I've listened to on the iPhone retains the blue dot on iTunes after a sync. Thus, the podcast is also labeled "new" again on the iPhone after the sync.

Anyone else seeing this? Not sure if iTunes 7.7 or the iPhone 2.0 update caused this since they both came out around the same time. iTunes 7.7.1 is installed and still the same inconsistent behavior.

Anyone with non touch iPods seeing this? Trying to figure out if it's an iPhone/touch issue or an iTunes issue.

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep

Same thing is happening here, but it's sporadic. I have a playlist of podcasts that have been listened to less than once and it's hit or miss to mark them as played.

I bet it's iTunes.

3. e.m. thread starter macrumors 6502

Mine is inconsistent as well.

If you never finish listening to the entire podcast, iTunes should not mark them as played. At least that was the behavior prior to 7.7 as well. Which worked because if I was in a middle of a podcast, it'll still be on the iPhone post-sync.

4. mpshay macrumors 6502

Same thing happening to me. At least I know I'm not the only one. Maybe the next update will resolve. Guess I'm stuck occasionally deleting them the old fashion way for a while until itunes correctly marks them as read.

5. e.m. thread starter macrumors 6502

I hope it's fixed soon because I'm getting pretty confused here with Podcast management.

I subscribe to 15 Podcasts I listen to regularly. I mainly listen to them in the car and at work through my iPhone. Then I come home to sync to my Mac, and it's really inconvenient to not have the new Podcasts automatically sync to my phone like before.

Alright, enough complaining; hope they fix it soon.

6. WindowsDivorcer macrumors newbie

Playlists are the key

I was desperate as I gradually ran out of space, but wanted to keep my podcast archive in iTunes.
    Saw another poster talking about checking genres in Smart Playlists; all of mine ignore 'podcast' which is a separate genre rating, but in checking I found the old default 'Played' playlist (from iTunes or old ipod I can't remember) includes podcasts alongside music and music videos.

Removed this from syncing and now all options/settings in podcast sync tab work as expected - hurrah!!

Note I've found no problems with similar default 'Recently Played' or 'Purchased' playlists. These contain TV shows, I have bought but they are correctly overridden by the video sync tab settings and don't load if not specified even with the playlist still selected.

Phew - delays my move to a future 16GB iPhone

Should point out - I removed the affected playlist for speed and because I don't need it; alternatively add an additional filter to playlists via: right-clicking; selecting 'Edit smart playlist'; then the '+' button; set the first two combo boxes to 'Podcast' and 'is false'
    This will prevent podcasts from being added back to those playlists and re-loading to you device as it ignores the podcast sync tab settings. Presumably as playlist-present TV shows ARE overridden by their sync tab settings this is the design that podcasts SHOULD be using.

7. gekkosan macrumors newbie

No answer for Podcasts Syncing Problems?

I have anxiously read the posts here, and it seems like syncing Podcasts with the iPhone is a headache shared by all.
    Not sure if the issue I'm encountering is quite the same as what you all post above.
    I'm subscribed to a large Podcast list with heavy video content. There is no way I can fit even a portion of these on the iPhone, so I have to limit the sync to some 10-15 at a time.
    The syncing options include something that says something along the lines: "the 10 least recent unplayed", which to me sounds like exactly what I would like. I understand this to mean: Grab the ten oldest podcasts in this list which have not been played, write them to the iPhone, and erase all the other podcasts that have already been played. Right? Do please correct me if I'm wrong in my perception...

What I actually get is a sync that only uploads 1-4 podcast to my iPhone, following some logic I can't quite figure out.

Anyone knows how to do what I would like to have? Just keep my iPhone constantly updated with the 10 oldest unplayed podcasts from this list?

I'd really appreciate any inspired suggestions.

8. BillPetro macrumors newbie

I too cannot sync iTunes Podcasts to my iPhone 3GS. I can't recall when it started but I've wiped the iPhone 3GS twice, and alas.

I download Podcasts directly to the iPhone through iTunes, and then sync, and they're gone on both the iPhone and iTunes.

Most perplexing.

9. taytho macrumors 6502

So..... No solution?

10. timwo macrumors newbie

Podcasts in playlists don't sync

I am encountering this same problem on my iPhone 3GS. It started after I upgraded to OS 3.1 on the phone and iTunes 9 on my PC. I had a playlist that was comprised of podcasts from different sources. That playlist was erased on the iPhone (but not in iTunes).

I then created a new playlist. This playlist has one .mp3 music file and one podcast. The music file syncs, but not the podcast. If I delete the music file, then the iPhone does not sync the playlist at all (it thinks its empty).

Would love to hear if anyone has found a solution...

11. timwo macrumors newbie

Functionality removed!!

I just spoke with an Apple Tech support rep. He confirmed the behavior and said it was new behavior for iTunes 9 that is "by design". He suggested rolling back to iTunes 8.2.1 which you can do here for PCs

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL928

I haven't had a chance yet to confirm this fix...

I also asked him to pass along my "displeasure" to the powers that be for removing this functionality I depend on.

12. petebot macrumors newbie