iTunes/iPhone problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ryan.Tanner, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Ryan.Tanner macrumors regular

Okay, I have been using my Windows Vista desktop computer to sync the two iPhones in my household for over a year. Everything always worked fine up until a month ago.

When I plug my iPhone into my computer (through the dock), iTunes automatically freezes up on screen. If music was playing, it continues playing, but iTunes locks up completely.

So, to sum it up, I cannot even plug in to sync or update the iPhones.

Anyone else had this issue and have a fix for it?
    I am starting to think it is a hardware issue, but other usb devices (ie: headphones, usb hubs, and external hard drives) still work in the same usb port, and they do not lock up iTunes.

:(

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Sometimes, on my MacBook Pro, I plug in my iPhone 3G and iTunes doesn't respond. I have to do a force quit and restart iTunes. I just always suspected it to be a resources issue. How much RAM is in your PC and what speed is the processor?

David

3. Ryan.Tanner thread starter macrumors regular

I have:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6420 @ 2.13 GHz

Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB

I know it can't be a power thing. LOL.

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Definitely not a power/resources thing. I have almost the same configuration as you; 4GB RAM and 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. I get locked up about once a week and I sync about 3 times a day. No need to sync that much, it's just that I plug in to charge and it syncs.

I assume you've tried rebooting multiple times? The problem occurs with both iPhones, right?

David

5. Ryan.Tanner thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I have rebooted, and it does happen with both phones. I can't really see it being hardware, so it HAS to be an iTunes issue. We've never had issues with the phones or iTunes before.

6. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Have you tried reinstalling iTunes? Make sure you have all of your music backed up so just in case you lose it on your hard drive, you don't lose it for good. If that doesn't work then I would try a new USB cord. Although it doesn't sound like a hardware issue, it's worth the try.

David

7. Ryan.Tanner thread starter macrumors regular

I have reinstalled iTunes too.

This is starting to sound impossible. I think I am screwed. :/

8. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

9. Ryan.Tanner thread starter macrumors regular

So, you think it is an iTunes issue? I may as well go into the Genius Bar and get this figured out.

10. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

The Genius bar will most likely be able to fix this.

David