iTunes & iPhoto libraries

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by martinielsen, Sep 6, 2009.

1. martinielsen macrumors newbie

Hello everyone.

The way iTunes and iPhoto works with libraries (copy's of the original files) seems like a waste of hard drive space especially when one have tons of gigabytes of music and photos. Because I was a PC user before I recently became a Mac user I'm used to manually organize all my files. But I'm beginning to see the benefits of using the libraries, so I'm considering having iTunes and iPhoto copy all my music and photos to their libraries respectively, and then delete my original files to save space om my hard drive. Would that strategy be stupid? Does anyone else here use that way of handling your files? What happens if I deleted my original photo files and later on want to switch from iPhoto to lets say Picasa. Would it then be possible to extract/export my photo files from iPhoto or would I be doomed to use iphoto to the end of my days?

I apologize if I'm asking a stupid question, it's probably obvious for all you experienced users, but I just got my first Mac so you can call me a rookie - that's for sure!

Martin
    (my first post on this forum! :))

2. AeroBar macrumors 6502a

Hi

Welcome.

You can export photos in their original form from iPhoto.

I haven't installed iPhoto '09 just yet but I have gotten to use it.

Trust me, you'll want to use iPhoto for the rest of your days.:cool:

You first post, my first attempt at helping (I think) - it's usually me asking others for help.:)

3. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

This is perfectly ok. But I don't let iTunes copy my music files as it seems to always know where they're at on my hard drive even if I move them via the finder. (Note: Can somebody tell me how it does this?)

You can recover your iPhoto files either by exporting them or going right into the Library in the finder. (right click on the library and select, "show package contents"... then open the folder, "original files".)

4. martinielsen thread starter macrumors newbie