iTunes/iPod Classic/OSX Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by panda bear, May 5, 2010.

1. panda bear macrumors 68000

panda bear

Alright, this is going to be a little lengthy, but I want to provide all the information I can from the beginning.

I bought an iPod Classic 160GB in February. I had no problems with it, until about a week in. At this point, I connected the iPod to sync it with my library and I got some error (I don't remember exactly what it was) that asked me to restore my iPod. So, I did that and re-synced it.. everything was fine. I synced it a couple more times and it worked fine.. then the next time I got the same error message.

This became a regular thing, so after it happening 3 more times, I took it back to Best Buy and they replaced the iPod with a brand new one. I brought it back home and the same exact thing happened.

This led me to believe it wasn't the iPod that was the problem, so I updated iTunes and tried to sync it without the Apple dock. Still, the problem persisted.

I tried uninstalling, then reinstalling iTunes and I still have the problem.

Now, I am syncing and it takes a while for iTunes to recognize my iPod, then when it does, it takes forever to sync it (when it should only take a few minutes depending on the updates I have made) and now it's going through songs that haven't been touched saying "iTunes could not copy (insert various song names here) to the iPod because an unknown error occurred (-50)."

It has done this for about 10 songs already.

The iPod works perfectly when it's not connected to the computer.

I install my updates regularly. I am currently running OSX version 10.6.3 and iTunes version 9.1 (I installed the new update a couple days ago) on a Mac Mini (newest iteration) 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo and upgraded to 4GB RAM.

After the process of elimination, I can only conclude that the problem lies somewhere in my computer/OS, but that is beyond my knowledge-base.

Any help or insight would be fantastic.

If you have any questions about anything I haven't included, please ask if you think it would help. Thanks so much!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Wow, what an odd problem! First thing I'd try is quitting/disabling software that interfaces with iTunes, such as CoverSutra. If that fails to find any leads, or you can't find any such applications running, the next thing to do is to examine your log files. Console helps immensely in this regard. For example, one way to find relevant messages is to select All Logs in the filter list then do a search for iTunes.

3. panda bear thread starter macrumors 68000

panda bear

Thank you so much. I will try these things tomorrow, when I get it back. I let a friend borrow it tonight to use with my Bose dock (not that you care, but yeah).

I use TuneUp with iTunes, but the problem was occurring before I ever used it, i'm pretty sure, but i'll quit that and see what happens.