iTunes: iPod/iOS capacity bar

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rspeaker, Oct 5, 2010.

1. rspeaker macrumors 6502

Inside iTunes, with my iPhone plugged in, the summary page shows 23.3GB music, and .66GB free (there are several GB of videos, apps, photos, etc.) When I sync the phone, audio drops to 22.8GB, free space becomes 1.25GB; no music is deleted or added to the phone, but when the sync is done, it goes back to 23.3GB for music and .66GB for free space.

I tried syncing a 200MB podcast, and iTunes deletes my pictures (which take up .11GB); when the sync was done, there was still plenty of free space for pictures (I forget how much,) but when I forced a second sync, iTunes said it didn't have space for the pictures.

I went through all the tabs, and there should be space for what I want to sync. There are absolutely no errant video files, podcasts, iTunes U etc trying to get on the iPhone. And I know in the past I filled my iPhone all the way to just .1GB free space.

Is there anything to do to use this free space? I'd like to avoid wiping the phone (I use the convert to 128kbps option, which means restores typically take a day and a half.) Really frustrating to see 700MB of free space that iTunes won't let me use.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I am having a similar and equally bizarre issue. My photos (which are not set to sync) take up 0.02 GB of space. When I do various things in iTunes that randomly changes to 12 GB, then back to 0.02 GB. :confused:

3. rspeaker thread starter macrumors 6502

Played around with it a little this morning, to no avail...

The iPhone itself shows 645MB free, iTunes reports as 660MB. Downloaded the same 200MB podcast (that I tried syncing last night) directly to the iPhone and it was fine. Plugged into iTunes, and it deleted my photos, saying there wasn't enough space. iTunes reported over .5GB of free space after the sync.

iTunes currently shows .76GB free space, but says there isn't enough space to sync my .11GB of photos (about 400 photos, no videos mixed in.)

I probably will wipe it, to see if that changes anything, but in the meantime, it's very frustrating to have quite a bit of space left that's been rendered unusable.