Itunes Ipod Touch 1st Gen error (6) problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by atomicyoyo, Dec 6, 2009.

1. atomicyoyo macrumors newbie

I am new to the forum as you can see, so I apologize if I am starting this thread in the wrong area...anyhow
    I have an ipod touch 1st gen 16gb version. I am not exactly sure whats wrong with it. The ipod will not turn on, so I plugged into my computer and it is recognized with itunes. Itunes then prompts me to restore it, using the latest firmware that they have. So i start the restore and it gets almost all the way to the end. Then it stops and says unknown error occured (6). I know I am in DFU mode because I have gotten the white screen then the apple logo with the loading bar, and I even tried forcing it into DFU with ziphone. So i know for sure that my phone is in DFU mode. But no matter how many times I try, itunes gives me the same uknown error (6) thing.

I'm sorry if this is confusing, but its the best I could in explaining my problem. Can anyone help? Thanks

2. SantaFe85 macrumors newbie

Why are you in DFU mode? Is your iPod jailbroken?

3. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

He's trying to restore it and having problems. DFU mode is a legitimate way of trying to restore an iPod.

Have you tried on a different computer or different USB port? Basically most of these errors are to do with some kind of USB related issue as far as I know.
    Try restoring to a previous firmware, if iTunes is asking to restore to 3.1.2 then manually try the firmware that was on it previously or just any other older versions.

I've found that in some cases I can restore a previous version and then from that, to the latest version.

4. atomicyoyo thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried restoring to all previous firmwares but to no avail. If I try any other firmware, it won't even start the process it just gives me an error. Only with 3.1.2 will it let me start the restore process, and then it gives me an error(6). Thanks for the tips though :)

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you have a white screen, you are not in DFU mode -- in DFU mode, screen remains black. Try DFU mode again. Google for other tutorials than the one you first tried, there are several variations on how to get into DFU, so if one doesn't work try another.

6. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Easiest way I find to put an iPod or iPhone into DFU is to plug it in so it comes on. Then hold power and home together until it disconnects from the PC (audible disconnect noise for reference) count 2 seconds and let go of the power button while keeping the home button in. Then keep holding until iTunes sees it again.

If there is anything on the screen after its disconnected from the computer you've gone too far and will need to start again.

If it's not restoring to any other firmware versions I don't know what to suggest.
    It's usually USB driver related and I've also found that having IE 8 installed helped (on PC of course) this isn't always the case, just seemed to work for me before when I updated windows after a fresh install.