iTunes is beachballing. Unable to fix

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by markw10, Jul 5, 2014.

1. markw10 macrumors 6502

I am running iTunes on a Mac Pro running OS X Mavericks. It's worked fine until a few weeks ago.
    I have a music collection of approximately 3000 songs and have a large collection of podcasts I subscribe to. It was originally set up to download podcasts for several episodes and I changed the setting to only download the most recent podcast. After I did this I decided to delete all episodes of each podcast other than the most recent. With my collection this was many but I highlighted all of them and then selected to delete them. I believe I did that by right clicking and select delete. That is when the problem started.
    Now whenever I open iTunes it simply beachballs. I am not sure if it's simply locked up or is actually doing the work of deleting those podcasts. I have even let it run overnight hoping that it would be completed in the morning but I have woken up to find my computer locked up. It's obviously using up a massive amount of resources.
    I use iTunes a lot and miss having it. Any idea of how I can fix this?
    Thanks!

2. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

I don't think that should have killed it. I just deleted like 900 movies from my library for house cleaning purposes and it was fine with it.

Do you have iTunes Match though?

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

4. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

Have you tried restarting your computer? Repairing permissions?

5. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

6. JonLa macrumors 6502

option-click Itunes and when it prompts you to choose the library, create a new one. Add a few tracks to it and see if it beachballs. May be that the library file is corrupt somehow so this would be a good way to see if that's it

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Same here. I deleted about ten podcasts and when I open iTunes, it begins downloading the same podcasts before it goes into beach ball mode.

Repairing disk permissions did nothing.