Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macintoshxiii

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2006
It seems that many people had problems with itunes 7 onwards... seriously something is wrong.... can apple provide some help? to fix the problem? This is crazy as and when playing itunes and it crashes anytime!!! How can it be assured that it will be in good shape??? I cannot get back to itunes 6 now too as they said my files in the library were unable to read by itunes 6! Gosh then where should I go to? 7 is a problem and 6 is unable to use!!!

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I can see you're upset about it. If you want to continue to use iTunes 7 can you give us some information about you're computer.

1) Operating System (eg OS X 10.3,10.4,Windows 2000,XP)

2) Amount of RAM (OS X: Apple Menu==>About this Mac) or (Windows: Start==>Control Panel==>Classic View (in the side panel)==>System)

3) Processor type and speed (G3, G4, G5, AMD, Intel)]

Also make sure you have tried iTunes 7.0.1 which is now out.

If you use OS X I'm sure we can provide help on how to revert to iTunes 6.x.x ;)

Revert to iTunes 6.0.5 Windows said:
To revert to iTunes 6.0.5
Step 1: Backup
Back up your iTunes 7 settings, so that you can keep them around in case you want to go back.

Go into your My Documents folder, then your My Music folder. Copy the iTunes folder inside there to somewhere else. That’ll save your settings.

Note: That’s the default location, if you’ve moved things around it’ll be somewhere else. If you need help finding it, search for files ending in .itl on your hard drive.

Step 2: Uninstall iTunes 7
Now, uninstall iTunes 7. Go to your Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, iTunes and hit Uninstall.

Reboot as it asks you to when it’s done.

Step 3: Download iTunes 6.0.5
Download iTunes 6 from Apple:
http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...orwindows.html

Step 4: Install iTunes 6.0.5
Install iTunes 6 by running the installer.

Step 5: Try to run iTunes 6
You should get this error message:
The file "iTunes Library.itl" cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes.

Step 6: Restore your old library
Go back into My Documents/My Music. Now go into the iTunes folder. Rename your iTunes Library.itl as iTunes Library.itl.old. Go into the Previous iTunes Libraries folder (which would be in MyDocuments\MyMusic\Previous iTunes Libraries). Take the newest file (for me this was iTunes Library 2006-09-14.itl) and copy it back up to the iTunes folder. Rename it iTunes Library.itl. Run iTunes 6 and you should be all set, with your library restored.

It’s not a perfect solution, but it’s better than losing your library entirely. Plus, since you’ve backed up your iTunes 7 library, when Apple releases an iTunes 7.0.1 you should be able to reverse the procedure above and use your most current library before upgrading to iTunes 7.0.1.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I had the same problem. It may be an issue with the audio on your computer. Open up GarageBand, and play a few notes with "musical typing". Should work after that. If not, go with one of the above suggestions.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
For Mac OS X
Quit iTunes 7.x
Go to the Music Folder (Home Dir/Music)
Go inside the iTunes folder and rename the iTunes Library file, iTunes Library.7.old
Go inside the Previous iTunes libraries folder and rename the most recent iTunes Library backup, iTunes Library and place it in, <Home Dir>/Music/iTunes)

Delete the iTunes 7 application from the applications folder.

Download iTunes 6.0.5 for Mac from Apple

Use Pacifist to install iTunes, otherwise it won't install.

Hopefully then you should be sorted.

EDIT:
Try ghall's suggestion first it might work and that is easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.