Itunes is crashing OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Zonz, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Zonz macrumors member

Any help appreciated. Here's is my issue.

In the last couple weeks my 8 month old MBP has been freezing up. The entire interface stops working except for the mouse, and nothing responds, not even force quit, and i get the spinning beach ball indefinitely. It's been such an issue that I've tried to narrow down what application is causing it, and it turns out to be itunes.

Upon loading it, about 2 thirds of the time (i have no idea why it is not consistent, sometimes if I wait and open some other apps, do some work, and then open itunes, it is not a problem) everything freezes up after the itunes screen opens and i get the spinning ball of death. The other third of the time, everything will be going great, I'll be working on the internet, listening to some tunes, and I'll attempt to change the song or look for a different artist in the search bar and everything will crash.

Any ideas on how to pinpoint the problem? Or perhaps what the problem is? I really have no idea what cause the issue. I haven't been doing anything different; the problem first started after I downloaded some music (yes... torrents... so I recognize this may be self inflicted but let's not get into what a horrible person I am etc... please...) and was trying to convert them from flac. I have since deleted the files but figured it was mostly likely not a virus since i have, well, a mac. Am I being naive in this assumption?

I have already repaired everything I could in disk utility.

I have a 2.4 15inch MBP with 4 gigs of ram and 10.6.2 installed in case it is relevant. And the latest version of itunes.

2. Zonz thread starter macrumors member

3. jiwa macrumors newbie

Probably a long shot...

I had exactly the same symptoms with my MBP, and were not caused by a specification application, but rather by heat under CPU load.

After installing the application below, I've NEVER experienced the issue.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23137

Cheers,
    Rob

4. Zonz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but unfortunately no dice. I installed and no success. I'm at a loss.

And I'm kind of afraid what installing that actually did. I read the reviews afterward and many said it is an unsupported software which may cause irreversible issues with my fan. Any ideas how to uninstall? Can't figure it out. There's no application icon after installation...

...anyway, my issue persists.

Any other ideas?

5. jiwa macrumors newbie

I've not uninstalled it myself as it solves my problem, but I took the following from the reviews on the link I sent:

"So to solve the problem of not restoring system settings after erasing the program, all one has to do is to set the cooling preferences to the Apple settings (1500 RPM, Lower Th. 50°C, Higher Th. 80°C) and then erase the application."