iTunes is Gone

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wvuwhat, Mar 20, 2013.

1. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I have iTunes open on my dock (usually on my 2nd screen) and I'm still able to right click and play music/shuffle/etc, so I know it's running. But, it will not come up on screen.

Tried shutting down and restarting, still doesn't come up.

Help?

2. simsaladimbamba

What Mac OS X and iTunes version do you use?

Have you tried deleting "com.apple.iTunes.plist" in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Preferences / yet?

3. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I don't know what version of OSX I'm using, I know it's not the newest one, I think it's the one before. iTune's version, the latest, just updated the other day.

4. simsaladimbamba

To find out what Mac OS X version you run, click :apple: > About This Mac:
    [​IMG]
    To find out, what exact Mac model you use, click :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware Overview:
    [​IMG]
    To see a more elaborate image explaining the above steps, click here.
    To see a more detailed video tutorial showing the above steps, click here (2 MB, 23s, .mp4).​

Anyway, tried the PLIST file deleting I proposed?

5. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

6. simsaladimbamba

Use this method to find system files via Finder, that can't be found via Spotlight:

7. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Do you get the iTunes menu bar? If so, what happens if you go to Window > Minimise?

9. simsaladimbamba

Watch the video I embedded in post #6 and pay attention from the eight second until the nineteenth second (8s - 19s).

If that does not work, go to Finder > Menu Bar > Go > Go to Folder (CMD+SHIFT+G) and paste the following into it:
    Code:
    ~/Library/Preferences
    It looks like this:
    [​IMG]

10. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

It actually shows iTunes next to my trash bin and downloads in the dock. And, when I click on "it" it flys to the left of the screen and is gone.

11. simsaladimbamba

Just to put more vigour into the PLIST search, it resets the window position and other small settings you can easily set again. Just so you know.

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Go into System Preferences > Displays and click "Gather Windows" to bring everything onto your main screen. I'm saying that from memory so there might be another step in there somewhere :)

13. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Just found it. Deleted what you said, didn't work... Now I'm getting new files on here every few seconds.

Should I smash my computer?

14. simsaladimbamba

****, it worked the last time I had the same error, but that was probably iTunes 7 or so.

Anyway, try what Nermal proposed. And the new PLIST file getting created are okay, it belongs in there.

When in iTunes, did you press CMD+1 yet?

15. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I'm done. I bought an iMac for the ease of use 3 years ago and was going to buy a new iMac within the next 2 months. Not going to buy one now.

First problem I've had, but I listen to iTunes every night and this is a major problem for me.

16. simsaladimbamba

Tried Nermal's proposition yet? What iTunes and Mac OS X version do you have?

To find out the version number of an application,

Menu Bar > "Application Name" > About "Application Name" (Finder is used in below screenshot guide)
    [​IMG]
    clicking above image will get a more detailed screenshot