iTunes is lagging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by c-hass, Sep 27, 2011.

1. c-hass macrumors member

Hello folks,

The problem started just 2 days ago. I was playing some music, and suddenly it stopped. I look at iTunes, the song was in Play mode, but not playing, you know. I skipped to the next song, and it solved the problem.
    But now it keeps coming back, and I also noticed that the whole system starts lagging, for a few seconds then goes stable again.

I checked out my activity monitor, and iTunes is normal, and I usually have 5-6 gigs of ram free.

I ran the disk utility tests, thinking it might be a HDD-related problem, but it wasn't the case, the test came out green.

All my music is on my internal HDD. It's a 320gig.

I'm under Lion 10.7.1, Macbook pro i5 2.4, 8 gigs of ram.

2. eternalife macrumors regular

Only thing I can think of is the hard disk is going to sleep. Do you have that checked in your Energy Saver preferences?

3. c-hass thread starter macrumors member

Should I uncheck "put the HD to sleep when possible?"
    It has always been checked, but never had any problems.

4. c-hass thread starter macrumors member

I disabled the HDD thingy, still lags.

Any more ideas?

5. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

What is the processor utilization reported in Activity Monitor when this is happening? Are you listening to music locally (attached to the laptop) or over a wireless network? Is Spotlight indexing? Is Time Machine actively archiving?

6. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

Lacking any more interesting info (see above questions) this might be the early signs of drive failure. Make sure you have a backup of your system/data just in case.

7. c-hass thread starter macrumors member

Didn't notice the processor in the AM, I'll do it next time it lags.
    My music as I said is local, on my local hard drive, single partition. Spotlight is not indexing, and I'm not using Time Machine.

damn!
    Off to a backup! But is there a way to know if the drive is failing? As I said I made the disk utility tests, and nothing showed.
    Anyway, the MCP is still under guarantee, can apple do anything for me?

8. c-hass thread starter macrumors member

Here's the CPU activity while lagging:
    User: 1.5%
    System: 2.6%

It looks pretty normal to me.

9. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

OK, so apparently it's not processor utilization, nor competing processes. You already said that memory is not problem. And the music is coming directly from the MBP and is not being transmitted over a wireless network. And the disk seems to be running OK.

The leads me to think that it's some sort of hardware problem. I assume the music is going over a mini-port cable to speakers or to an amplifier of some sort. Have you checked the cable and amp to make sure they are working properly?

If nothing else, and if there's an Apple store nearby you might want to take it in for a check-up.

BTW, how often does this happen?

Remember to do that backup ...

10. c-hass thread starter macrumors member

Well, the funny thing is that I tried to play the music for a while in VLC (especially the songs that lagged) and it ran perfectly.
    And I don't really think it's hardware, because when the music lags, iTunes stop responding for a while (I get the rainbow cursor).
    Should I try to uninstall then install iTunes? Could that help?

11. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

iTunes is notorious for being slow at times. It lags a lot when you scroll through 2000+ songs, and when it does more than 2 operations at once (consolidating & syncing, for example).

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

iTunes is incredibly bloated. Apple needs to reconstruct the whole thing to make it lighter and less resource intensive.

13. bloutrein macrumors regular

bloutrein

Unfortunately, true.

In general, I have found that managing more than 100,000 tracks at a time through iTunes is a waste of time. (I have 145,000 songs and iTunes takes its time to load) I guess my itl file is megabytes in size.

Not to speak about the organizational problems I am facing such as duplicate tracks, missing artwork, etc.

I wonder if there would ever be a good media library program which does not lag, is light, and at the same time allows you to manage easily large mediatheques. Something like Spotify for instance (streamligned interface, quick to load, tons of music)- but where you don't have to pay and have all of your own offline music appear the same way =). :(

14. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ive never used this but ive seen it mentioned a few times as peoples favorite apps

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24852/vox

15. c-hass thread starter macrumors member

And frankly Safari isn't light either. I love Safari, especially the new one with Lion, but it's a damn memory eater. Sometimes after 2 or 3 hours of use, it eats up to 4 gigs of ram!

I've been also experiencing system crashes the past few weeks, turned out to be a Safari thing. I disabled flash, and so far, it's running very smoothly.

Thanks for the Vox link, I'm gonna try it right away.