iTunes is making me go postal!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cowslayer, Aug 8, 2009.

1. cowslayer macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

I added a large number of songs to my itunes library recently and have spent quite a bit of time trying to name things correctly. Once I was finished, I stupidly decided to enable itunes to organize my library, which ended up causing a weird separation of files, where some ended up in the designated itnues folder and some in the itunes folder within a folder. Some songs were doubled up.

I disabled the "let itunes keep library organized" and thought I was done with it.

But no...

Every time I re start itunes, a new random collection of songs appears with the exclamation point next to them. The problem is simply fixed by double clicking on them. Then the next day a few other songs show this little sign of a problem with the given track. This is driving me nuts.

What could be causing this random invasion of exclamations?

2. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

Make sure that your music folder location is set properly in the advanced section of iTunes preferences. Whatever folder is set there is where iTunes puts your music as it is imported. If you keep your music somewhere else It all gets copied to this folder when you import it. The exclamation means that iTunes can't find the song in whatever folder, but when you go to play the song, it will search for it and update its location.

3. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

possibly means you are moving the music mp3/file around in finder/windows explorer.

4. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

You want an easy fix? Make sure ALL your music is physically located within your iTunes Music Folder. Next, put your file called "iTunes Music Library" in the trash. Delete it. Next, go to iTunes and deselect "let iTunes move files, etc. to manage library" if you don't want it to move anything (I have mine checked and never have your problem.) Next, go to the File menu and select Add to Library and then choose your iTunes Music Folder and let it rebuild your library.

It should work fine after that.