iTunes is Playing Music Spontaneously

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Melodeath, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

Sorry if this is the wrong subforum, but this seems appropriate enough.

I have a mid-2010 Macbook Pro with OSX 10.6.8.

I updated iTunes today to 11.1.4 (I think I was on 11.1.3 before) and now iTunes is spontaneously playing music without user input. Even if I quit iTunes, it will re-open and start playing the first song in my Library. I can stop it or quit iTunes, but it keeps happening. This never happened before, so I have to assume it was the fact that I updated today.

I am spontaneously seeing the mostly-transparent volume adjusting box come up. It's the one that come sup when you adjust the volume with the keyboard buttons F11 and F12

Is anyone else experiencing this, or have a fix? Can I re-install the older 11.1.3? Can I re-install without losing iPhone backups, etc.?

2. guineaphinea macrumors newbie

It sounds like a keyboard problem...does the MB respond when you press the keys? Have you spilled anything on your machine? Is there dirt/food/etc. in your keyboard?

3. mneblett macrumors 6502

Anyone using an Apple remote around your machine?

If I'm on my MBP and my wife operates our Apple TV remote, iTunes starts playing on my machine.

4. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

It could be a remote is inadvertently controlling iTunes on computer. Make sure "disable remote control infrared receiver" box is checked in Sys. Pref's> Security and Privacy> Advanced tab on the iMac.

Also check iTunes pref's> Devices tab for paired remotes.