iTunes is Slower Now - Anyone Else?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by John Doe 57, Apr 2, 2009.

?

Is iTunes Slower or the Same

Poll closed Apr 9, 2009.
  1. Yeah, it is Slower.

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Nope. No problems here.

10 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

For me, every since this new "Genius" came out, iTunes has been considerably slower. I have now officially turned off Genius. I was noticing that iTunes was loading songs for 3 to 7 seconds. Usually a song will play instantly.

Even with Genius turned off, iTunes is still a bit sluggish. Just wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else, and if there is any solution. It really isn't that big of a deal. Its just inconvenient.

Maybe this is my problem:
    2,588 Songs
    28.54 GB of music
    13 Days 2 Hours 1 Minute 6 Seconds - Total Time
    Average Song Length: 7.1 Minutes

The bigger the library, the slower it will be?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I have more than double the Library you do and I have no problems. You have the latest iTunes? Cause it stated it increased the speed. And I think it did.

3. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Version 8.1

4. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Yeah, I have more music than you do and my iTunes is as snappy as ever.

5. jono_3 macrumors regular

mines been working much better on late 2008 mbp

6. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

How do you encode your music? Maybe that could be a factor?

7. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I don't know if that is the problem. Maybe it is. I don't really know how I would find out about the encoding.

I have noticed that the loading takes places when I try to play a long song. Ex. something over 20 minutes can take 3 - 7 seconds to load.

8. jive turkey macrumors 6502

iTunes was ridiculous slower for me, until I cut off that new DJ feature. Now it is working as expected.

9. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

DJ! I'll try to turn that off when I get home later today. Thanks!

10. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yeah it was a lot slower for me until i turned off all the smart playlists, and DJ. Genius doesn't really work for me.. whenever i plug in my iPhone it says updating and then fails. oh well.

the more features you turn off the faster it goes (at least for me)

11. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

It's being getting progressively slower with each new version. I wish they'd spun video support into a separate application and kept iTunes as a music library. Not the all in 1 multimedia jukebox it is today.

It can't even output full screen video to a monitor of your choosing. I also think it's pathetic that iTunes has being out this long and you still can't view either visuals or video full screen on any display of your choosing while still having the main window visible on your main display. It's just full screen on your main display, awkward dragging of windows that's flaky at best or nothing.

I bought a family guy episode from the iTunes store and the closest I can get to playing it full screen is either dragging the window to my TV and watching it in over scan or revealing the file in the finder and opening it in Quicktime player to play it through my TV.

Hardly as practical as simply setting a designated "full screen" monitor like quicktime does and then simply adding video playlist support to quicktime with iTunes acting as simply a launcher to send the video to quicktime for immediate playback on whatever display you've set it to.

I still miss the subfolders I could put in playlists and the record from audio input to mp3 (or aac/lossless if it was around today) that soundjam offered.