iTunes is slowly killing me...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ztark, Sep 30, 2007.

1. ztark macrumors member

I recently updated the itunes software on my iMac and now a bunch of random songs are now gone. When I click on some songs I get a message that the original file cannot be found and then it asks me if I would like to search for it. Most of the missing music is stuff that I bough from the iTunes store, however there are a few albums that I imported from CD's that are completely gone. Anybody have any idea WTF is going on? I have searched every last corner of my hard drive and there missing tunes are no where to be found. grrrr.

2. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

sounds like a corruption with your hard drive or something like that if the files are completly gone

3. ztark thread starter macrumors member

how would I go about addressing a "corrupted" hard drive?

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Apple Inc.
    Corrupted Hard Drive Division
    1 Infinite Loop
    Cupertino, CA

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Boot the Mac from the install CD (cancel the Installation) and run Disk Utility, select the hard drive, click on Repair Disk, and go watch a movie (it'll take a while).

Hopefully, that should correct any problems. If not, restore from a recent backup. You have one, RIGHT?

5. mcvaughan macrumors 6502a

You don't happen to have those stored on an external drive, do you?

6. ztark thread starter macrumors member

yes, they are on an external drive (MyBook 500 Gb Usb 2.0). I do have a dvd backup of my library (nearly 12 discs), but there were a few recent purchases (that are gone) that I didn't backup. The weird thing is that the missing music seems to be completely random, some purchases are fine while other's are gone. A disproportionate amount of "free single of the week" tunes are gone. Only a few imported songs from CD's are gone.

7. mcvaughan macrumors 6502a

Try closing iTunes first, connect your external drive and wait for it to appear on your desktop. Then open iTunes after your system sees the external drive and see if your music files are missing. The issue is that iTunes does not see the external drive at launch, and thus thinks the files are missing.

Report back on your results...

8. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

This has happened to me, and in almost every case, the song was still there, only not where iTunes expected it to be (although, this was after my external HD failed and I copied an older backup to a new HD, but I'd modified some info like album names on the failed HD that wasn't in the older backup).

Anyway, before you panic, take a look in your iTunes library and see if you can re-associate the file with the iTunes database.

9. ztark thread starter macrumors member

Well, all the suggestions above have not solved the problem so I have restored my collection with my backup DVD's. There are at least two albums that I purchased on iTunes and did not back up that are gone. Does anyone know if apple will let me re-download those tunes? (i still have the email receipt)

10. aristobrat macrumors G5

I've seen lots of posts from people who have contacted iTunes customer service are were allowed to redownload stuff, even though iTunes says that they won't let you do that.

11. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Your issue sounds alot like mine i have been bothered by since I purchased my iMac in March of this year. Over time, folders and files randomly disappear from my computer. I love my backup cause it makes reinstalling quicker. Did your hardware test come back with any bad news? Mine never does :(