iTunes isn't sending updates apps to phone anymore

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WinterWolf90, Jul 15, 2016.

1. WinterWolf90 macrumors 6502

Im having a problem where my iTunes isn't sending an app that has been updating my to my iPhone. It will backup when I use a cable to connect it to the computer, but it will not transfer over any updated apps that I downloaded on my computer to the phone.

It also does this with iPad and i have used different cables and had no results. Any ideas? this is all of a sudden and has never happened before

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Starting from iOS 9, Apple introduced app thinning. This feature allows iOS devices to download app updates from iTunes Store ONLY for optimised storage on device.
    And back to iOS 5, I remembered I needed to update every single app manually on iTunes rather than updating them on devices, and for some reasons, app updated on device would not be transferred back to library either. Maybe I was wrong.

3. WinterWolf90 thread starter macrumors 6502

The app thinning only made it so it wouldn't transfer apps back to iTunes, i never had problem with iTunes sending it to the phone though.

4. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Yeah, we can still install apps using iTunes, as usual, as always.

5. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

Apple now expects users to perform updates directly onto a device via OTA/Wi-Fi and the App Store app.

App Slicing in iOS 9 is a big reason, and accordingly, iTunes 12 will not automatically transfer updates to a device, nor retrieve the model-specific "sliced" packages off of a device.

If you're still doing it the "old fashioned" way, and downloading app updates via iTunes and not directly to the phone, you must manually tell it to update those apps in the picker window. It's a PITA, but it still works, at least until Apple eliminates local libraries entirely, and channels everything it can through iCloud and Apple Music.

That's the future as Apple sees it, and you will like it.

6. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Just last sentence: I will NEVER EVER subscribe to Apple Music and the day Apple ditches iTunes local library and iTunes local music library is the day I permanently leave Apple.
    I WILL NOT like it.

7. WinterWolf90 thread starter macrumors 6502

How do I manually do it then? This has to be recent because just last month I was updating apps from iTunes.

8. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

If what you mean is updating apps using iTunes, you need to go to "apps" page, scroll through app lists, and find those apps saying "update" rather than "install", click on it, then your app will be updated right at next sync.
    If what you mean is updating apps in iTunes local library, you then need to go to the page where iTunes lists all of your apps, then find "update", where iTunes will list all app updates available based on your current account and current region. Click "check for updates" multiple times to make sure all apps are updated, as sometimes first update check may miss a few apps. Oh, you may also need to manually click "update" or "update all" if iTunes does not start downloading immediately.
    From now on, turn on "automatic app download" in iTunes settings, so that you will not miss any app bought from other devices.

9. WinterWolf90 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you; i figured out how to do it; This is so odd, it never did this before it just updated them all all the time. This is an issue for me because I have satellite internet where I live so one download on the computer is easier than downloading it to everything else and using bandwidth. I also take my computer to areas with high speed internet and update it.

Thank you everyone!

10. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

Glad you figured it out.

Apple doesn't make it easy with this half-baked situation where iTunes will update apps, but not push them to a device unless told to.

Plus, you either have to be cognizant of which apps were just updated, as well as a very good memory of which apps are installed on your devices(s), or check the App Store app to see which have updates, then go back to iTunes to find and select them.

They also make that a PITA, because the picker won't allow sorting by Date Modified, only Date Added. If it was the latter, the newest updates would always appear at the top of the list.

They also assume every user now has a fast, reliable internet connection, ample data plan and lives within proximity of an Apple store.

User experience is nothing but lip service to the company now.

11. niji, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016

niji macrumors 6502a

niji

"In the future you will own nothing and have access to everything,"
    - The Inevitable: Understanding the 12 Technological Forces That Will Shape Our Future by Kevin Kelly

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0525428089/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=
    Kindle Price: $25.44 (worldwide)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-inevitable/id1048849451?mt=11
    apple iBooks Price: $14.99 (in USA...)

12. mikzn macrumors 6502

mikzn

You should be able to do a batch update when you back up the device with the Mac - I first "update all" apps on itunes and then connect the phone / iPad and it updates all the apps during the back up.

I was using the Wi-Fi to update each device but like you mentioned it eats up a lot of bandwith - I have 2 phones and 2 ipads so an app like Keynote (595MB) that is on each device gets downloaded 4 times and once for the Mac unless you use the mac to do all the updates.

I turned off the Wi-Fi sync and iCloud back up too = more lost bandwidth!

13. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Thanks for your book recommendation.
    But still, we guys still want to OWN something rather than "renting" them.
    We will never have access to "everything".
    The idea to "always rent" stuff is just suitable for a handful of user groups.
    If possible, I would like to be the first one opposing this trend, at least, die trying.