iTunes issue (possible ID3 tag)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by anton1s, Jul 10, 2012.

1. anton1s macrumors member

anton1s

Hi All

I am a new mac user (just got my MBA 13" 2012 model) and I am having a strange issue with iTunes. I am trying to add a folder (music) which is in Greek (attached) but the song names appear strange. i am not sure if it is related to the ID3 tags. This doesn't happen with english songs for example

Any hints of how to resolve this? i would like to get the names showing right

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. cmdrmac macrumors regular

Have you tried typing in the fields manually in Greek and then saving it? Once saved does it maintain the Greek characters or does it switch back to the weird looking characters?

3. anton1s thread starter macrumors member

anton1s

Once I manually type in Greek and change the name of the song ,it maintains the Greek Characters

Attached Files:

4. cmdrmac macrumors regular

I am going to guess that the encoding of the mp3 for the id3 tags is perhaps corrupted. I know it doesn't necessarily help your case, but there is a freeware software, TAGR, that can help you redo the id3 tags.

Disclousre: I have absolutely no interest in the software, TAGR. I simply use it and am experienced with it.

5. anton1s thread starter macrumors member

anton1s

6. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

I would guess that those weird looking characters are the closest someone could get to Greek letters without having Greek on their machine, or else it was originally Greek and then went through some kind Latin ASCII encoding which messed it all up. I wouldn't know how to begin to fix it though... Good luck.

PS: Is this where I say "it's all Greek to me?" :D

I'll get my coat. :eek:

7. anton1s thread starter macrumors member

anton1s

Not sure to be honest what caused this. I have Greek fonts and I can type Greek as well so probably tags were messed up. I will have to fix this using the tool cmdrmac provided. Let's hope it's an easy process

8. anton1s thread starter macrumors member

anton1s

The application works like a charm. Unfortunately,it's a manual process and it will take some time to convert all the songs.(About 60 Gig)