ITunes Issue (Probably an Easy Solution)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MoLiva, Aug 31, 2010.

1. MoLiva macrumors newbie

Alrighty guys. Here's the dealio.

Currently I have an external drive that I use to store all my media files. This includes music, video, etc. It of course, also stores my ITunes library. In OSX I have itunes set up to use the external drive for everything. When I rip a CD as Apple Lossless into ITunes, it goes into the ITunes folder I've assigned on the external drive. Keeps my internal drive empty. Easy breezy.

Recently I installed Windows 7 via bootcamp for the sole purpose of gaming. However, I still require the essentials(music, etc) of course. I installed ITunes on windows 7 and quickly found it empty. I went into the preferences and changed the default library path to the one on the external hoping to see my library appear afterwards. No such luck.

I don't want to import all the songs again because I'm afraid that'll create 2 copies of everything. I simply want to take my existing ITunes directory I created in OSX and "share" it with my Windows ITunes. How can I "load" my existing directory so to speak?

Just to add, I do currently have Macdrive which allows me to read/write to Mac formatted drives in windows, so that's not an issue

2. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

Just a guess here, but I don't think the library files are compatible between the Windows and Mac versions of iTunes. You can set up iTunes in Windows to see the same music without duplicating the files (the same way you have it set up on your Mac), but it will need to create its own library file (so you will have to recreate your playlists and it won't carry over the extended metadata fields that are exclusive to the iTunes library files (playcount, etc.).