Itunes Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ano-nymous, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Ano-nymous macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum, and the reason I joined is primarily to seek help in solving some issues I'm having with iTunes.

At some point I accidentally created an iTunes icon on the desktop of my MacBook Pro. So I ended up with the icon on the tool bar on the bottom of the screen, and the icon on the desktop. I would like to delete the desktop icon, but when I send it to the trash, I can't open the application using the toolbar icon. So in order to "use" the application I need to bring it back from the trash to the desktop, and continue to have the two icons.

In another attempt to remove the desktop icon, I also tried dragging the icon from the desktop to the applications folder, but when I do that I get the following messages:

"A newer item named 'iTunes' already exists in this location. Do you want to replace it with the older one you’re moving?"

I clicked "replace" and get this:

"The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to modify 'iTunes'."

So that is one of my issues... Can't remove the iTunes desktop icon.

The other issue is that at the same time the app itself is not working. When I try to open the app to listen music I get the following message regardless of which icon I double click on (toolbar icon, or desktop unwanted icon):

"The file “iTunes Library.itl” cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes. Would you like to download iTunes now?"

When I click on "Download Itunes" the Software Update shows that I have 11 updates including one iTunes update. If I try to install all the updates I get a message saying that my "startup disk is full..." (a subject that I also need to tackle, but prefer to save for another time since it is a quite complex situation). My way around the "startup disk full..." message is to only select the iTunes update instead of all 11 updates. It works, the update seems to install properly and I get the "Installation successful..." message, but when I try to open iTunes I still can't do it, and I get the ("The file “iTunes Library.itl” cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes. Would you like to download iTunes now?") message again. Back to square one. However, If I click on "Download Itunes" again this time it only shows me 10 updates and no iTunes update... If I restart my computer it shows me the 11 updates again.

I did find a way to access my music. Here it is: click on Finder/House Icon/Music Folder/Itunes Folder/Previous Itunes Libraries Folder... There I found two documents: iTunes Library 2010-06-01 and iTunes Library 2013-06-11.itl. I clicked on the later and a new document was instantly created called iTunes Library 2014-08-08.itl (I don't get this) and I got access to my iTunes library and was able to listen to my music normally.

So... having said all that. Does anybody could help me to go back to normal. By normal I mean having only one iTunes icon on my toolbar that gives me access to my music without all those weird messages that seem to take me nowhere.

I know my explanation can be confusing. If somebody needs me to clarify something, please ask me to do so and I will try to do my best. Like wise, If I need to provide more info, please ask. Like you can probably infer, I'm not very computer literate, so I would greatly appreciate detailed answers vs oversimplified ones.

Thanks in advance to anyone that could throw some light on this issue.

Regards,

2. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

Does iTunes open up and launch at all and are you able to play your music?

It appears you may have a duplicate copy of iTunes on your machine.

3. Ano-nymous thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, when I do the following:

4. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

Ok :)

When you say you can't open the application using the toolbar icon, what do you mean by that?

Try dragging the iTunes icon from your desktop to the Trash and then right click your trash can icon and click 'Empty Trash'. Does it produce any errors?

Or, try dragging your iTunes icon from your Dock (the row of icons on the bottom of your screen) to a blank area of your desktop background. A cloud/'poof'/puff of smoke icon should appear. Release your mouse and it should vanish. Then drag the other iTunes icon that's already on your desktop and place that in your Dock.

5. Ano-nymous thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, looks like I fixed the problem. You were right, I had a duplicate iTunes. Just threw the one giving me issues away and solved the problem.

Thanks for the help... Such an easy fix... I guess I was over thinking it. By the way, I was referring to the dock as the tool bar.

Once again, thanks a lot for your help. This issue had been driving me crazy for the past two weeks.

Regards,

6. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

Glad it worked, it's always the small things that cause the biggest headaches :) Enjoy your Mac!