iTunes - "It's Just Not Working"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by silver8ack, Oct 28, 2011.

1. silver8ack macrumors regular

This isn't iPhone specific, but there's no iTunes forum that I can find... anyway...

Ok, just upgraded to Lion. Using iCloud now everywhere. So I had to create another account for my wife in the iMac so our stuff didn't get all jumbled up.

Our iTunes library is already on an external drive, everyone has Read+Write to it.

On the new account, I go through the steps of selecting the Folder, and NOTHING shows up in iTunes.

I launched iTunes while holding the Option Key and select the folder. I get an error saying there is no iTunes library file in that location. Well, I've consolidated the freakin library there, but my library files are still in my main accounts Home directory.

WTF? And how do I fix this?

2. silver8ack thread starter macrumors regular

The iPod forum? How is that any different than the iPhone forum.

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Because that's also the Subforum for iTunes. It says as such on the front page of Macrumors

4. distemp macrumors regular

How dare you not understand the arbitrary rules governing where to post specific questions? This is the internet. This is serious.

5. silver8ack thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I know.

Im sure I'll get flamed for having a double post now.

I'm assuming the issue is that iTunes is not moving the iTunes Music Library.xml and associated files. But I don't want to move them manually as they might eff something else up.

6. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Are you using the same apple id for iTunes store purchases? That could be your problem. I set my wife up with an apple id for iCloud (we shared one before). In the phone settings you have to put in the two different ones. One for iCloud (which is the one I just created for her), one for iTunes (which is the one we shared before). If you're signed in to iTunes with the right account, shouldn't your purchases be "in the cloud?"

7. silver8ack thread starter macrumors regular

We're using the same iTunes ID and different iCloud IDs. The iPhones aren't a problem... NO iCloud stuff is a problem. This is the local iTunes library. I can't see the local library with the other account. Nothing. No movies, music, book, nothing.

The iTunes Music Library.xml and associated files did not get moved to the iTunes folder apparently. I moved and consolidated the iTunes library to the external drive over a year ago. The XML files are still in my primary user accounts home directory, so the secondary account doesn't see them in the "iTunes" library folder, and can't access the other user folder.

I don't know why iTunes decided not to move these files. I'm assuming moving them would screw up the main accounts library.

8. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I don't know. You lost me with all that external hard drive stuff. My wife and I just each keep our own iTunes libraries on our own macs. We share the same apple id for purchases so we can both download stuff we bought from iTunes if we want (music, movies, books, whatever). Then I use the same one for my iCloud stuff, and I got her her own id for iCloud so our calendars and contacts don't get mixed up. Works fine.

9. silver8ack thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for trying, but this has nothing to do with iCloud, Syncing, or anything like that. I only mentioned iCloud because that is the reason we needed 2 IDs on our iMac.

So you're situation isn't even remotely like mine because you both have your own libraries.