iTunes just sniffed my iPod touch for info

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by JPJones, Sep 19, 2007.

1. JPJones macrumors member

Something interesting just happened to me which has never happened before:

I plugged in my iPod Touch to iTunes and I got prompted to confirm whether or not I'd like to provide Apple with diagnostic information regarding my iPod. Being a good citizen I said yes.

Is Apple sniffing around to see what could be causing the screen issues?

Has anybody else seen this? This is the first time I've ever seen this with any iPod (and I have 6 different iPod models in my house).

2. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

Yea, that happened to me, its probably looking for overall bugs in the software, but I hope it can also fix the screen issue for me

3. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

4. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

I am pretty sure they're not sniffing around and this practice will primarily be used to remove bugs and help in their diagnostics.

5. JPJones thread starter macrumors member

Maybe "sniffing" comes off as sneaky, but it prompted me and gave me an option to allow iTunes to report any "non-personal" information to Apple. So I don't think they're being sneaky, they're just "interrogating" my iPod...very cool. I hope they can find something that can help!

6. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Mine did this when I first connected it to my computer the first day I bought it.

Unfortunately, Apple can not fix the negative black screen with a software update. The negative black screen is a hardware issue and can not be fixed through a software update. At least that is what I've heard. I'm just the messenger so DON'T SHOOT ME.

Prof. :apple:

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I would laugh so hard if it was in fact a software issue... all you suckers who thought it was hardware... hahahah!

8. K Wal macrumors newbie

I firmly believe that it's a software issue since I have the same problem with my macbook screen because of the settings I like.
    I like my screen softer and since do to my long torso I always look down so I keep it that way. The only downside is if I am in a position that I am looking at it straight I get negative blacks, if it's going to be for awhile i have a setting to fix it (all I did was adjust the gamma setting)

9. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

at least...

haha, once again an almost normal post turns into screen bashing :D

I think that diag. screen is pretty standard and I let them have it. If you really want to talk about sniffing, look at windows xp sp1 and all the 'call home' features...

All Im saying is at least apple ASKED and at least they will do something about hte info rather than it going into the void like m$

Thanks,
    Arisian

10. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I said that I'm just the messenger. Don't get all pissed at me.

11. betelgeuse1 macrumors member

betelgeuse1

I got a similar message. Hopefully that diagnostic data helps them figure out how to fix the Safari + Music crashes I'm getting.

12. trevorlsciact macrumors regular

*gets out a gun* ...... *BANG*

XDDDDD :p:p

13. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

That hurt:D