Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gianthobbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
My collection of iTunes music and movies has outgrown my internal hardrive. So I uncheck Copy Files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to library.

What does not make sense to me however is the check box above. "keep itunes media folder organized". This really confuses me because if I am not moving the files into the media libary why would it want to rearrange the files? So does that mean for example that on my external hardrive its going to move the original source files?

20100929-ge81g3d9iipn39346twtsmenpk.jpg

Thanks much!

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
What does not make sense to me however is the check box above. "keep itunes media folder organized". This really confuses me because if I am not moving the files into the media libary why would it want to rearrange the files?

You're not moving the files to the media folder if you are copying them- copies get made and placed in the media folder. The option to keep it organized means iTunes reads the metadata of the files and categorizes them according to the way it thinks it should be categorized.

So, you are correct to be confused about iTunes rearranging files- because it is not rearranging anything. It is "arranging" them.

gianthobbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
You're not moving the files to the media folder if you are copying them- copies get made and placed in the media folder. The option to keep it organized means iTunes reads the metadata of the files and categorizes them according to the way it thinks it should be categorized.

So, you are correct to be confused about iTunes rearranging files- because it is not rearranging anything. It is "arranging" them.

I seeee, its taking the existing meta data and applying it to the how it organized in iTunes. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.