iTunes keeps crashing - alternatives?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kimjohnsson, Sep 9, 2013.

1. kimjohnsson macrumors member

Hi guys!

I'm looking for an iTunes alternative with the following specs:

- it runs on a Mac
    - it supports AirPlay to multiple destinations
    - it has playlists
    - it can be easily remote controlled from an iOS device (a dedicated app, not remote desktop solutions)

My iTunes crashes almost daily, and it keeps dropping AirPlay connections all the time. I have a Mid 2011 Mac Mini with Mountain Lion and 8 GB RAM. I'll be getting a MacBook Air later this week, after which I would like to use the Mini as a music server, which plays music non-stop. I just want to power on my AirPort speakers and instantly hear music, and control what I'm hearing with my iPhone or my iPad.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Kim

2. dangercove macrumors newbie

dangercove

Hi Kim,

I think the best course of action would be to try and fixes the crashes and connection problems you're experiencing. If you already have your entire music collection in iTunes, just adding Apple's Remote app (http://www.apple.com/apps/remote/) should give you everything you need.

You mentioned that you'll be getting a new MacBook Air. Would it be a problem to just format the Mac Mini and do a fresh install, only adding your music afterwards. It might sound a little rigorous, but will eliminate most external influences and save you some problem hunting.

As for the AirPlay problems. How many speakers do you have and how do you connect them to your network? Adding a lot of speakers to a network that doesn't have enough bandwidth available can be problematic.

Cheers,

Boy

3. Mike MA, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

Mike MA macrumors 65816

Mike MA

With your requirement list I don't see too many alternatives. The most radical but promising solution might be to completely remove iTunes from your Mac and reinstall it. There're instructions in this forum on how to do it as iTunes is a system application which can't be deleted easily. Your library won't be affected. The actual doing takes 5 minutes. Helped for me.

My Airplay issues only could be solved by purchasing Time Capsule. Airplay issues are quite common when not using an Apple router - sad but true if you crawl some of the posts around here. In my case I was also looking for a backup solution, so the pain was a little less as two problems were solved at once.