Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diomedes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
San Francisco
For some reason, iTunes 4.7.1 started crashing everytime I would right-click (or Control-click) on a track.

Before I take my PowerBook into the Apple Store, does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? And is there a place to find iTunes crash logs?

3Memos

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Delete iTunes preferences and repair permissions. If that doesn't work, try re-installing iTunes or re-building the iTunes library by moving your songs out of ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/ and re-import them. If that don't work, I guess you could try deleting the XML file. good luck.

Diomedes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
San Francisco
What exactly will I lose by deleting the preferences file? Is it just the options in iTunes:preferences, or will it lose track of my iPods? Or will the auto-sync preferences of the iPods be deleted?

I had completely forgotten about trying a repair permissions.

MP2

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2005
First I'd start by repairing permissions, then if that doesn't work then I'd trash the iTunes preference file located in ~/Library/Preferences. I can't remember the exact name of the prefrence file (as I'm not at my mac.... **** you Windows!!), but if you search in that folder for "iTunes" a file will come up with a .plist extension that you need to delete. Keep in mind that deleting this .plist will get rid of all the preferences, so you'd do good to remember them.

You could alwasy try downloading iTunes from Apple.com and reinstalling it.

I wouldn't trash the iTunes Music Library.xml file because that keeps all you ratings, playcounts, etc. Rather just move the .xml file to the desktop (to keep as a backup) and relaunch iTunes and let it create a second .xml file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.