itunes keeps crashing. tried everything please help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by palckofv, Nov 22, 2008.

1. palckofv macrumors regular

ok, everytime I try to open itunes on my macbook it pops up in the menu bar for a couple of seconds and then i get an error message that says the application itunes quit unexpectedly. I have searched everywhere online for two days and made a genius bar appt. for tomorrow but would rather not drive an hour to go. It all started yesterday, i downloaded the itunes update and then updated my iphone. Everything was working fine. Later in the day i downloaded srs iwow and thats when everything went wrong. I have tried every suggestion i could find. I have removed all the itunes add-ons i could find, did disk utility, twice. I uninstalled and downloaded itunes again. Still nothing. Any help would be very much appreciated. I need itunes for my phone and ipod. Oh and I can still listen to my itunes music in front row so I'm pretty sure my library isn't corrupted. Thank you for any help

2. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Go into Applications > Utilities > Console right after iTunes crashes and post what it says here.

3. palckofv thread starter macrumors regular

Ok here it is. Thanks for trying to help.

11/23/08 3:54:03 AM com.apple.launchd[62] ([0x0-0x37037].com.apple.iTunes[396]) Exited abnormally: Trace/BPT trap

4. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

It looks like there are system resources missing. iTunes tries to locate those resources, can't find them, and crashes. I would suggest reinstalling OSX.

5. palckofv thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. Thanks. If I do this will it delete everything on my computer like pics and music files, iphone apps, etc?
    Thanks again

6. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Yes, it will, so I suggest backing everything up first. ;)

7. palckofv thread starter macrumors regular

OK! Thanks alot. I appreciate the help, I am pretty new with macs, but love it so far. Except my recent little problem. I just need to get my hands on a hard drive. I think I might just spring for Time Capsule, unless someone has a better option.

8. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Time Capsule is a great external backup solution. I recommend it strongly.

9. palckofv thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I thought. At the present time I dont have 300 bucks in my budget I can blow on that. The iTunes files like songs and apps are all I'm really concerned about. I don't have many pictures and anything else I'm sure I can easily get again.
    So is there a way to burn the files onto a dvd or cd without accessing itunes? I would really like to be able to do this as soon as possible since itunes is by far what I use my computer most for. Thanks again. I really appreciate all the help

10. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Yes, when you insert a blank CD or DVD into your drive a window will pop up, choose "Open in Finder", then you can just drag files into the window that pops up and click burn. ;)

11. palckofv thread starter macrumors regular

12. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Sure thing. :)